Hot Spot

Hot Spot

Hello,

I have a 10month old Newfoundland.

Since she was little(r), she always chases her tail, always grabbing the same spot.

Today, we came home from work and noticed that the same spot she always chases was red, scabby and hot. Almost like she has ripped the hair out of her tail. The hair we did find around the area did have scabs on it.

We treated it with coconut oil for now.

Does anyone have suggestions? We have looked at a few websites and it says it could be due to being allergic to flea bites, but as far as we know and could see, she doesn't have fleas. She gets treated for ticks and heart worm monthly.

I did read that when dogs with thicker coats get wet and dog dry off enough, the dampness in the fur and build up bacteria causing the scab.

So again, just looking for some input, suggestions and what not from anyone.

Thanks very much

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Welcome! I love Newfoundland dogs! Well, could you show us a picture? It would help. Also I would take him to a vet as soon as possible...just to be sure it is not something serious.

I never had a dog, but take care of one. And I have to fish.
    I love pets and I love Silky!

you need to shave down the area to the skin, wash it with an antibacterial soap, rinse well, then put bag balm on it, you can rub it in but if the dog licks it no worries, we used to use bag balm on cows all the time and now people are using it also. You can get it at a drug store or a farm supply feed store. Cheaper at the pet supply though.

Normally the vet would shave it down, clean it up then prescribe an anti biotic. Try the bag balm

Hot spots are usually a sign of an allergy, but one thing at a time, clear it up first then if it comes back try something else
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.