What breed?

What breed?

I'm thinking about getting a cat, what sort of breed do you think i should get? I don't want a long haired variety, as I don't have enough time for grooming. Also, do you think i should get a male or female cat?

I don't think gender is important, as long as they are neutered/spayed at the proper age. A male cat who is not fixed, or not fixed at the proper time, will have a very strong odor to his urine, and usually will 'spray' around the house to mark his territory. A female that isn't fixed will attract stray males to your home, and they will mark their scent on the outside. And, of course, if she gets pregnant, there's little ones to find a good home for.

I've had regular tabby cats, a Somali, a Burmese and I'm on my second Manx cat. I think the disposition of the cat is much more important than the actual breed. Breeds like Burmese are loud "talkers", so if you don't like that day or night, don't get a cat that ends in 'ese', like Siamese or Tonkinese, etc.

Also breeds like Burmese aren't very good outdoors, as they need warmth all the time and often need extra warm comfort even in the house. Mine had a sheepskin bed, and at night she would be my inside 'spoon', lying the entire night in the warmth of my stomach/chest.

I own a Male Manx...i love him!

Scottish fold as kittens they have a to die for face...

Gender is irrelevant but what kind of features are you looking for in a cat besides short hair? How active do you want the cat to be and what do you think is cute? Personally I love tabbies and tuxedo cats so I always advise them but Siamese cats can be absolutely wonderful too.

Quote Originally Posted by kdavilav View Post
    I own a Male Manx...i love him!
    I agree! I love my male Manx, he's the best! I had another many years ago, who was an awesome cat too! The 'dog-like' cat, to be sure.

I've always found male cats to be much more docile than females, but that's just my experience. As for the breed, I would just go to the animal shelter and pick the one that captures your heart. A rescued kitty will love you forever

Quote Originally Posted by skarlett88 View Post
    I've always found male cats to be much more docile than females, but that's just my experience. As for the breed, I would just go to the animal shelter and pick the one that captures your heart. A rescued kitty will love you forever
    I completely agree. You can't guarantee behavior based on breed from my experience; the best way to find the perfect pet for you is to see the sort of personality they have and how they bond with you.

I've had alot of cats and alot of different kinds. I currently have a Siamese, 2 hairless cats and a 20 year old grey kitty. I've found in most breeds the male tends to be more laid back. I would not suggest a Savannah, Bengal, or a Siamese to a first time owner they are wonderful cats but a challenge to the inexperienced owner.

What attributes do you want your cat to have? Will they be indoors, do you have children. Do you want a purebred or do you mind a mix? My 20 year old, Kuma was a rescue and she's a wonderful cat...so are my hairless ones. The Siamese is fun, but does tend to be a challenge. They are like 2 year old kids...lol. I bought my mom a Himalayan, she is a sweetheart, but does need extra grooming.

Figure out what you want your cat to be like and I'll gladly go through my breed books and give you suggestions. Once you know what you want you can contact a reputable breeder or go to a shelter and look for a cat that if part what ever breeds you want...Like Kuma is part Russian Blue or Korat...she reflects both breeds in her disposition.
    Also what kind of area do you live in? City or suburbs, country. None of my cats go outside, but if you decide yours is going to be indoors/outdoors you need to take that into consideration too. I will tell you the average totally indoors cat lives twice as long as an outdoors.

I'll watch for your reply and good luck!

You might also consider a "preowned" or a "rehomed" cat. Many of these cats come altered and trained... for some reason their owner couldn't keep them. Sometimes the owner has passed away...sometimes they are moving or military...Sometimes they are moving and their landlord says no. Do ask them why they aren't keeping the cat. I know of a couple with a Sphynx recently who couldn't keep her because he's being stationed overseas...she's a great cat.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.