Golden Retriever & Lab Golden mix

Question Golden Retriever & Lab Golden mix

Two of the dogs I know are a Golden Retriever and a Lab Golden mix. I care for the Lab mix 3 days a week, I cared for the Golden Retriever 3 days straight at my house, you know..I took him home with me. It is so different how they each greet me, when I ring the door bell at the Labs house he comes running and barking, then, when I open the door he lies down and yawns so I have to coax him out with a treat. On the other hand the Golden Retriever runs to the door with a sort of half howl-half bark. Then when I open the door he comes straight out. Lab is 7, Golden is 9.

I don't think anything is wrong with them but do any of you know why the Lab mix lies down?

Thank you!

I walked the lab today and guess what, "woof woof!! Woof!" Open the door....."Yawn.....lie down....."

Please tell me why he does that, BTW when I get him outside he is fine, very playful.

Maybe just a low energy dog. Perhaps he finds it boring in the house and only interesting and exciting outdoors. Just like people, some dogs get overly excited and perk up when the doorbell rings, and others acknowledge the visitor and go back to what they were doing. Those need more encouragement to keep their high mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Maybe just a low energy dog. Perhaps he finds it boring in the house and only interesting and exciting outdoors. Just like people, some dogs get overly excited and perk up when the doorbell rings, and others acknowledge the visitor and go back to what they were doing. Those need more encouragement to keep their high mood.

Thanks for posting! BTW he is definitely not a low energy dog. Jumps, runs, chases, plays hide and seek......I could go for ever!!! But, I like him a lot!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.