My turtle tries to sneak into my neighbor's house

Talking My turtle tries to sneak into my neighbor's house

I have this slider turtle who loves climbing. Sometimes, we let her walk unsupervised around the garage. Then, when my neighbors open the door of their house, she is there somehow. I set a camera to record all her path towards the house next door.

My mom installed a mesh, so she can't get through the bar fence anymore, but still it's very funny to watch.

I have a RES that enjoys climbing stuff when he gets free roam time outside of the tank. My female Midland Painted is more of a social butterlfy... While Scooter the RES does his exploring and climbing, Tina the Painted Turtle follows people around begging for attention. She likes to have her chin and front legs rubbed, when she's given free roam in the living room she will climb my or my wife's leg to watch TV if we have a cartoon on. I'm convinced turtles see in color & it's the bright colors of cartoons that draws her attention. Regardless of that, I can personally attest to a turtles attention span endurance is well over one hour. Tina was a wild capture hatchling, she's been my baby since 2007.

I recently adopted a new baby... A hatchling common snapping turtle. I had my doubts about placing it in the tank with Tina and Scooter, however there has been no issues. Tina, the female Painted and Scooter the male RES are great tank companions. They court each other regularly (Tina's eggs are always infertile as they are genetically incompatible) and seem to play games with each other with tank accessories and their ping-pong ball. I've seen them on more than one occasion work together to catch a live meal dropped into their tank (which is why I was nervous putting a dinner sized baby in their tank).

Tina, the finger friendly female Painted was superficially curious about the newcomer for the first few days but became disinterested. She's shown no aggression only indifference. Scooter the "Don't Touch Me" male RES quickly become a surrogate Big Brother to the baby snapping turtle. Crunch (what my wife & I named the (sex unknown) baby snapper) shadows Scooter around the tank when he's not literally riding on the back of Scooters shell... they sit on the basking island together quite often, and lately Scooter has been swimming up to my wife and I when we pick lil' Crunch up out of their tank, watching what we are doing... A completely new behavior for him as Scooter normally stays at the other side of the tank when we are around.

I have yet to form an opinion about this new turtle... I've come across full grown snappers in the wild & have tremendous respect for their strength and survival instinct. Lil' Crunch has seemed to have lost it's fear of people already, it doesn't flinch or try to flee when being picked up (we don't make sudden movements around them). Lil' Crunch also seems to enjoy it's shell cleaning: a slow, gentle brushing with a toothbrush over its carapice causes it to stretch out its legs, tail and head while closing it's eyes.... Same behavior as Tina "the lap dog" turtle.

How all this applies to your slider???

Turtles have more intelligence than generally given credit for. They have excellent memories & are more sociable than what is commonly accepted in the scientific community. As reptiles and aquatic creatures, they have specific responsibilities more demanding that of a dog, cat , fish, or hamster... yet at the same time the reward of keeping a pet which can live through three human generations (if proper care is provided) is more than worth the sacrifice!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.