Cat seems slightly sick, I'm about to leave for a trip, advice?

Cat seems slightly sick, I'm about to leave for a trip, advice?

I don't have time to bring my cat to the vet before I leave for a trip that I really can't cancel (it's only a few days), but this morning my cat seemed a little under the weather. He's not as energetic as usual, his meow is slightly hoarse, he's drinking more than usual and he wouldn't touch his dry food but he would eat wet food (there doesn't seem to be an issue with his appetite). He seemed to be having some slight discomfort swallowing his wet food, which makes me think he's having a sore throat/flu issue, but he's not sneezing or coughing so i'm not sure. Basically i'm just trying to decide if he'll be okay to leave for a few days (which i HATE to do but I don't really have another option), my neighbor is checking on him and feeding him everyday, so he will be looked after but I just hate leaving him like this.

I just wanted to get other people's opinions on how serious this sounds and if it should be a problem to wait 3 days for a vet visit?

I wouldn't feel good about leaving my cat like that, I'd have to at least take him to the vet first and maybe get treatment or meds for him. He might have something caught in his throat, and if that's the case it has to be removed. It could be anything from a foreign object to a large hairball. Or, he may have a sore throat that warrants antibiotics, etc. Hopefully your neighbor can give him anything he needs while you're gone.

Personally, I'd remove the dry food and just feed him wet/canned, that way the hard kibble doesn't make the condition worse. It's hard with a cat, they're small and things like this really can't be ignored for several days. I know it would be heartbreaking to come home and have him in serious condition.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you can see the doctor, be at rest about your cat before you leave and have a good trip.

Welcome to the forum. What is your kitty's name?

Make sure your neighbor knows where the vet is and how to get to there if necessary. Normally I prefer a catsitter coming over twice a day because cats are more comfortable in their own homes but in this case it would be good to keep your cat with the neighbor if possible.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. What is your kitty's name?

Make sure your neighbor knows where the vet is and how to get to there if necessary. Normally I prefer a catsitter coming over twice a day because cats are more comfortable in their own homes but in this case it would be good to keep your cat with the neighbor if possible.
    His name's Wally! I ended up canceling the trip anyway, it was a family thing and I think my cats wellbeing is more important than a handful of annoyed relatives! I made an appointment with the vet for this afternoon, so fingers crossed that it's nothing to serious

Your cat's health is definitely more important to you, and for good reason. We spend the most time with those who live under the same roof, so it is normal to rather be with a cat than a human family member.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle27 View Post
    I ended up canceling the trip anyway, it was a family thing and I think my cats wellbeing is more important than a handful of annoyed relatives! I made an appointment with the vet for this afternoon, so fingers crossed that it's nothing to serious
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle27 View Post
    His name's Wally! I ended up canceling the trip anyway, it was a family thing and I think my cats wellbeing is more important than a handful of annoyed relatives! I made an appointment with the vet for this afternoon, so fingers crossed that it's nothing to serious
    Good decision on your part Michelle, and I'm sure Wally appreciates it very much! I hope it's something minor too, looking forward to hearing how he's doing and what the problem is.

You made a good decision! Hope it's not to bad.
    ​Chicken lover!

Have you tried anything to make Wally feel more comfortable until his vet appointment?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.