NEED chicken advise!

Question NEED chicken advise!

Hey all,

I posted a different chicken tread yesterday and only one replied so far. http://www.petforums.com/showthread....hlight=chicken I need lots of ideas and advise to care for chickens....they are not really going to be pets, http://www.petforums.com/showthread....=chickens+pets! Thanks do much!

chickens will start laying eggs about six months old, first they are tiny as they get older the eggs get bigger. You need to feed them chicken feed, get a self feeder and fill it up, the food will fall down as its eaten so there is always food available. Same with water.
    Chickens like all birds are dirty, you MUST pick up the poop as its very acidity and if they walk around in it they can get a disease and die. And they stink! You can't use the poop as fertilizer for other plants, it will burn the plant and it will not grow. if you plan on eating them you can't let them run around or they will be to tough to eat. And they are not very smart, they will eat each other if one is sick. They are afraid of the dark, they will huddle together in a corner at night unless you have a small light in the hen house. Unless you plan on having chicks don't get a rooster, they are nasty creatures, they will fly at you and claw you every chance they get and they will pick their favorite chicken and pull her feathers out. They are not as easy to care for as you think
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Did you ever have chickens before? Just wondering.

I was brought up on a farm, we had chickens
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hmmmm, does that mean I should not get them?

doesn't mean anything, if you want some then get some, just be reminded they are a lot of work and expense. Two chickens are nothing, we had 500 and a hundred milking cows. pigs, ducks and horses

Ok, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    doesn't mean anything, if you want some then get some, just be reminded they are a lot of work and expense. Two chickens are nothing, we had 500 and a hundred milking cows. pigs, ducks and horses
    WOW! I wish I had grown up on a farm.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

the chickens were my least favorite, I don't like anything that can fly at me. We had a few turkeys only once, they have to stand on wire because their poop will kill them and they get big and aggressive, they have to be fed medicated food and are more bother than they are worth. I actually like the ducks, but never any geese, my grandmother has a big male goose, that flying monster would chase and fly at me and bite me every chance he got. The only place for a goose is in the oven. I'd rather face a vicious dog than a goose. The horses were just for pleasure, the cows were the money makers. We had several holsteins in the herd but mostly jerseys and gurnseys, The holsteins were just to get the production up, the jerseys milk is very rich and the milk companies pay by butterfat content, a jersey will only give about twenty quarts a day but 1/3 of that is cream. We also had several black angus bulls (steers) they have no horns but if they are not castrated they become aggressive and even without horns they can still do a lot of damage. We had 450 acres, two barns and a big farmhouse and a big chicken coop, actually a barn with outdoor runs where they could go in and out but were kept inside at night because of foxes and coyotes. One wall of the barn was all nesting boxes, the chickens would go in the nests and lay their eggs.

I got a few books on having chickens, learned a lot of stuff...thanks again for the advise everyone!

^ ^ Interesting stuff. Thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.