Fleas and Dermatitis

Fleas and Dermatitis

My cat Stella is two years old and was born with fleas. I have treated her and my house in every way I know how for two years now. Flea collars, topical, pills, essential oils on her, powder and spray and foggers in my house. She still has fleas. About a year ago she started developing an allergy and now has dermatisis so bad it affects her whole body. Its like shes one big scab. She spends all day in her litter box and she only comes out to eat and when she does she sprints around the house. Shes always tense but still cuddles well and licks my hands and face. I have no idea how to help her any more than I already have. I even tried shaving her fur off with trimmers at one point. If anyone has any advice or ideas I would really appreciate it. I don't have the funds to take her to a vet right now but any vet ive talked to say they would just be doing the same thing I'm doing (no really thats what theyve all told me) so I don't know but it breaks my heart and she needs to feel better. I cant imagine how awful this is for her. Please help.

Was she really born with fleas, or did she get them from her mom? Thy combing her with a fine toothed metal flea comb from head to tail 7 times a day and dip the comb in a mixture of water and liquid dish detergent to kill the fleas.

Welcome and good luck!
    ​Chicken lover!

So sorry to hear about Stella, she must be suffering terribly. I have no real experience with flea induced dermatitis but I would recommend giving her a quality virgin coconut oil every day and some Omega 3s in the form of fish oil.

Why is she spending so much time in the litter box? That in itself can't be good for her skin. What kind of food are you feeding her, I would avoid dry if it were me and only feed a good quality brand of canned like Wellness or Natural Balance. Have you been bathing her in any soothing natural flea treatment shampoos, or applying anything to the skin? You can also apply the coconut oil topically, but you'll have to put on a little shirt to avoid getting oily residue on your furniture.

There some information HERE that may be useful, good luck and welcome.

Welcome to the fofum.

Fleas cannot infect unborn kittens. Stella must have gotten them from her mom after birth or been exposed environmentally.

There is such a thing as a veterinary dermatologist. Are you near a veterinary college?
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Yeti- She contracted fleas from her mother at birth. I do use a flea comb regularly with a cup of dish soap as it is. Not seven times a day though, not sure how someone can do that for weeks on end lol. Plus the comb hurts her sores. Thank you for the advice though, much appreciated!

Alpha- I will probably start with the omega 3s and definitely the coconut oil with a shirt. Ive got a 3 month old so I'm sure something she has will fit my kitty. Thank you so much for that idea, maybe it will help prevent her from itching so much and making it worse. Seriously thank you, I hadnt thought of that.

I've read that cats urine has ammonia in it which fleas dont like at all, my thought is that she sits in the litter box so she doesnt get bit. That way she can sleep comfortably.

1994- I didnt say she was effected in utero. Please read the entire post before responding. That wasnt very helpful at all. Just seems condescending and not welcoming at all as well... Strange...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwaldon View Post
    Yeti- She contracted fleas from her mother at birth. I do use a flea comb regularly with a cup of dish soap as it is. Not seven times a day though, not sure how someone can do that for weeks on end lol. Plus the comb hurts her sores. Thank you for the advice though, much appreciated!

Your welcome, I'm sorry it hurts her...wishing the best for you and your kitty.

hugs
    ​Chicken lover!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.