Cat misbehaving

Cat misbehaving

Hey everyone! My name is Matthew and I'm a 25 year old cat dad. I have a female cat who is about 2 1/2 years old. She's always been very sweet but independent and very well behaved. Only ever done minor scratching to furniture because she didn't have a scratching post. She's always been shy to visitors and likes to immediately hide but usually gets comfortable after awhile.

I've lived with her in 6 different homes as I've moved quite a few times in the last few years, and none of that ever changed. I recently moved into a new apartment (it's a 3 bedroom 2 bath with a large open living room). At this apartment we keep her litterbox, toys, scratching post, and food all in my bedroom. I keep her in the bedroom from the time i go to work (11am) until my gf comes home (3pm). She's then free to roam everywhere (except my room mates rooms, unless they are home with their door open) until I bring her in the room and close the door in the evening around 9pm. This was also the situation at my last apartment as well and she was an angel.

Now however, any time she is in the room she constantly rears up and scratches at the door. All hours of the night and it's incredibly loud. I wouldn't care if it was just me, but it's loud enough to wake my room mates. She will also scratch at the carpet at the bottom of the door, as well as run up to the sides of the bed and scratch it. At first i thought it was because she didn't have anything to do in the room, so I bought her a scratching post and found out she LOVES to play with pipe cleaners. Unfortunately, the scratching at the door has not stopped.

It's driving my girlfriend crazy to the point where she doesn't want us to live there anymore, and I don't want to move out. I really need to find a way to keep her calm or find out why she wants out so badly. She even has a big glass door to look out of and we keep it open with a screen. I really need some advice to why she's doing this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IMG_20171226_183232029.jpgScreenshot_2017-07-31-05-04-08.jpgScreenshot_2017-07-31-05-05-01.jpg

Welcome to the forum Matthew! Your cat is beautiful. What is her name?

I don't understand why you want to confine her to one room. The entire apartment is her territory. Let her roam the place whenever she wants.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Welcome! You have a very pretty cat! Like CatMom, why can't she roam the hole house? And do your room mates like her? Or do they try to avoid her?
    ​Chicken lover!

put double sided tape on things you don't want her to scratch and give her more freedom to roam around if she wants to and if she is determined to go outside consider getting her a catio. My cats are never allowed outside but I have two catios which they love. It hangs in the window like a window air conditioner, all caged in so they can't get out and nothing can get to them., It has a magnetic door so they can go in and out at will,
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I have seen this multiple times on the Internet: people getting rid of their spouses to keep the cats.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I have seen this multiple times on the Internet: people getting rid of their spouses to keep the cats.
    Are you talking to "Katdad" CatMom? And did katdad say he would do that? ( Not trying to be mean CatMom.)
    ​Chicken lover!

Yes I am. I was not trying to be serious, of course - just saying cats own the house, not their humans.

Ok, thanks for answering!
    ​Chicken lover!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.