New Cat Mom (nervous!)

New Cat Mom (nervous!)

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and a new cat mom. I recently adopted two kittens from a friend's family that lives nearby. They told me they are at least 7-8 weeks but I'm really suspecting they're younger although I wouldn't be an expert on that.

I'm really excited but also nervous at the same time. I wonder if I've made a mistake adopting these little ones. I'm afraid I can't give them the care they need. They're eating fine and getting enough water and I plan to take them to see a vet just for a wellness checkup as I greatly suspect they're too young for shots or anything. I just don't know why I feel this way. I feel like I should be happy but instead I'm feeling like maybe I've made a mistake adopting them. Maybe they're too young? They're definitely weaned because they are eating dry food, one only ate if I put water on it to wet it some but otherwise they're fine. Or am I just being unnecessarily paranoid and overprotective? Please give advice! I already love these babies but I feel torn at the same time.

Hi M&Y- Welcome. Don't worry. After adopting a pet, it is extremely common to have gut wrenching feelings of "OMG, what have I done?" and "Maybe this was all a terrible mistake!" Just ride the wave. It sounds like you're taking good care of these guys. The feelings of being overwhelmed and disoriented will eventually pass. It's a very normal reaction when starting to take care of your new companions.

Thank you! Yes, I couldn't quite figure the words to explain it but yes, that's exactly how I'm feeling right now. I woke up this morning with them both playing in my hair and I was thinking, what.have.I.done? But I'm slowly feeling better. I love them so much already! This advice really helped a lot!

you'll be fine, the kittens seem to have settled in, if they are eating and playing and hopefully using the litterbox? Its good that you've taken in two, they get lonely if they are left alone and don't have a companion. Just one word of advice, have them spayed/neutered by five months old. If they are not done by that age a male will start spraying, something you don't want for sure, and if female it will come into heat and come into heat every two weeks until she's pregnant. Something else you don't want. If you have a male and a female the female is likely to come into heat sooner because she is with a male. Good luck with the little ones and when you get a chance post a picture of them.

If you check out the album section of this forum you will see all out pets.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Yes, they actually seemed to have settled in. When I first brought them home they came out but then after a while retreated back into their carrier and fell asleep. Then, later when I was falling asleep I heard scratching and looked in and they were wide awake. I let them out, they explored, played and ate and drank a little. Then, they got sleepy again but refused to sleep in the carrier and my weak heart allowed them to sleep with me. They spend the night in my bed, waking up twice to play and be fed So, yes they're eating but no litterbox yet. I read somewhere they may not poop for a while after coming to a new home but I'm keeping an eye out. They are getting plenty of water and food, except I think I need to get a different mix or start adding water so it's easier to eat.

Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely getting them fixed as soon as it is safe. I don't want the spraying or the coming into heat. I've heard that can be a hassle. My parents had tenants once who had cats, who were not fixed and my they were a handful, especially the female when she was in heat.

I'm definitely going to be posting pictures of my little ones! I already started an Instagram account for them!

doesn't hurt to spoil them, let them sleep with you if they want. The mom usually litter box trains them but you need to put them in in once in a while so they know where it is. Most cats are very clean, if you get a dirty one they will always be dirty, they are either clean or they aren't.

I have two bengals and a siamese mix and german shepherd, before morning all are in my bed with me. Mine are all spayed and neutered but my females didn't know the male was neutered and both came into heat at 4 months old. It was a nightmare, the siamese is older. I had her first but I had another male neutered bengal at the same time, She also had an apt to be spayed so when she came into heat I brought her to the vet right away and she was spayed the next day. My bengal girl had an apt. to be done March 2 but she came into heat the week before her apt, I wanted to get her in right away to be spayed but my vet was on vacation so had to wait and have her done at the apt time the following week.

The siamese was a rescue so not sure exactly how old she is, my vet estimated she was about 4 months old and he didn't want to spay her until she was 5 months but in that time she came into heat.

your little ones seem to be very loving and well socialized. You should be feeding them wet kitten food, the hard stuff is still a little to hard for them to chew. And actually wet food is better for them. especially the males, as they don't drink a lot of water they can form crystals in the urine which a lot of times require surgery to remove them. You might want to consider getting them a fountain, the running water may encourage them to drink more. Also mine love their tree. Mine never go outside as we have fisher cats whose favorite food is cats and small dogs. I have two catios so they can go out but not really out. Its all caged in, has a magnetic door so they can go in and out, goes in the window like a window air conditioner.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Congratulations, glad you're giving these babies a good home. I would recommend just feeding them a quality canned food for awhile, it's healthy to feed them canned even if you feed dry too. But if they're having trouble with the dry, maybe you can wait another month or so before offering it again. Whatever food you use, read the ingredients and try to stay away from a lot of chemicals and cereals in the food. Ideally, chicken, lamb, beef, salmon, etc. should be listed as the first ingredient.

Welcome, looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Awww good I don't feel so bad letting them sleep with me. They cried until I carried them up to my bed and then they settled down and were happy once they were with me. They've grown very attached to me much quicker than I thought would happen. As for the litter, I discovered that if I see them squatting somewhere other than the litter box, if they really need to go when I put them in it they go just fine, no problem so now I'm confident once they know it's there they will go to it no problem.

I definitely intend to have them fixed when they get big enough. I'm bringing them to the vet on Monday to get a checkup and to be properly gendered. I'm pretty sure Mango is a girl and Yoghurt a boy but I'm no cat gender expert

Yes, I'm realizing how fortunate I am, these little ones are definitely very loving and well socialized. Right now though I'm the only one who can hold them for any length of time. There is one other person who has spend significant time with them besides myself but I'm trying not to introduce too many new people at once. They won't let her hold/cuddle, their little claws come out and they quickly get put down. About their claws, is it safe to trim them right now or should I wait a bit? They seem long and I'm afraid they will get caught on things.

I'm going to go buy wet food at some point today. I was putting some water on their dry kibble but they are eating the dry kibble just fine and drinking water, except I was worried because they seem to be drinking water a lot but maybe that's fine because of the dry food. I'll be giving them wet food for now until I see the vet and get more recommendations.

I plan on getting a running water fountain too and a tree except I have to hold back for now, supplies are expensive!

I've put some pictures up already of them in the album, Mango and Yoghurt.

very cute little ones. They look contented. My album is titled "my furry Family". Pictures of my shepherd and my two bengals and my siamese, vets says she is a lilac point siamese, She is not a purebred but it doesn't matter they all need a home.

They are very cute! Thanks for sharing!

My Album is called "My pet fish and more"! Check it out if you want!
    ​Chicken lover!

I let my cat Loki have the run of the house as soon as I was assured he was litterbox reliable and comfortable with the dog, our old dog Hans (RIP) was very sweet with the kitten even though he was never around cats all his life.

When the cat proved to be trustworthy, which didn't take long, he was welcome to sleep in my bed with me and my husband. He always slept by me, up against my chest and sometimes putting his "arm" around me, nothing more peaceful than the gentle purring of a kitty, and he's a big purrer, something I've always been happy about.

I think you can trim the very pointy tips of their nails at a very young age, I have a tiny clipper for my cat and have always done his nails at home. He was neutered at the age of 6 months, and I think that was a good time to get it done. Never had any problems with him, very clean cat, no bathroom issues.

The canned food I've been using since my boy was a kitten is Natural Balance and Wellness mostly. I free feed Blue Buffalo dry also, but may change brands now that I learned the same people no longer own the company. Checked out your album, your babies are precious!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.