Please Help! Senior Cat With URI Symptoms For Over A Month

Please Help! Senior Cat With URI Symptoms For Over A Month

I am in desperate need of help. My senior kitty, Calvin, became sick with symptoms that resemble an upper respiratory infection over a month ago and he is not improving. It started with throat clearing/coughing noises. More recently, he has been drooling excessively. Then on Monday, I noticed that his right pupil was dilated and much larger than the left. He has been lethargic and not doing much other than sleeping. Thankfully, he is still eating (a bit less than normal), drinking, and going to the bathroom.

I took him to the vet about three weeks ago. He was diagnosed with a URI and given antibiotics. He did not improve, so I took him back two weeks ago. They did an X-Ray and didn't find anything concerning. There was a mark on his lung that the vets thought to be an older injury of some sort that had calcified. Then, I took him again this past Monday when I noticed that his eye was dilated. They did blood work and said that it was normal. I even took him to a vet nearly an hour away for an echocardiogram, since our local office had concerns that a heart issue may have caused his eye to dilate. They weren't able to get a complete picture of his heart (he wouldn't stop moving), but what they could see looked normal.

After doing some research, I found that URIs typically include runny nose and discharge from the eyes. Calvin doesn't have these symptoms. However, he is definitely congested. I can hear it when he breathes and meows. Several times, he has coughed to an extent that he seems to have difficulty catching his breath. And he has started something particularly odd...he has been mounting things around the house, despite being neutered and never doing this before.

I have spent a lot of money and still have no answers for my poor Calvin. I am absolutely devastated. He is 13 years old and has been with me for nearly all of my adult life. I will do anything to help him. If anyone has any suggestions or a similar experience, please help us. Any advice is appreciated.

Get a baby vaporizer and let the steam blow at him, not on him, this will break up any congestion he may have. Put him in a carrier if you can and cover all but one side so he gets the maximum benefit of the steam

If there is a vet teaching school or hospital near you that is the place to take him, they won't stop looking until they have answers for you.

Get his records to take with you so you don't have to pay for testing that has already been done.
    Last edited by linda2147; 10-27-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

So sorry to hear about your Calvin, I don't have any advice but I hope you can help him. Welcome, wishing you both the best.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.