Kittens drink water often

Kittens drink water often

Should I be concerned if my kittens are always drinking water? Not constantly, I'd say they drink water at least once ever 1/2 to 1 hour when awake. I know cats are notorious for not always getting enough water but I also don't know how much is too much. I'm probably being super paranoid but being a new cat mom, I feel really protective and find myself questioning every behavior and googling all the time, "is *insert behavior here* normal?"

perfectly normal. I have a fountain and my cats are always drinking. Its good for them, the won't drink more then they want, just leave water available, they know when they want a drink.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    perfectly normal. I have a fountain and my cats are always drinking. Its good for them, the won't drink more then they want, just leave water available, they know when they want a drink.
    What a relief. They have a water dispenser. Not quite a fountain but the water doesn't just sit in the bowl all day. They love their water and are always running to drink a few gulps all the time. I'm glad they know to only drink what they need. So, I guess as long as they keep drinking I shouldn't be worried.

I think if they're still eating dry, that probably one of the reasons for drinking lots of water. Cats will swallow a lot of kibble whole with no chewing, another good reason to feed canned for awhile when young, I like to feed both. Also, any salty foods or treats will make them excessively thirsty, so try to avoid them.

mine will not drink standing water in a bowl, with the fountain they drink as it comes down out of the filter. The bowl is more for playing in. Bengals love water.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by mango&yogurt View Post
    What a relief. They have a water dispenser. Not quite a fountain but the water doesn't just sit in the bowl all day. They love their water and are always running to drink a few gulps all the time. I'm glad they know to only drink what they need. So, I guess as long as they keep drinking I shouldn't be worried.
    I have dry kitten kibble but I did try canned and they wouldn't give it the light of day (maybe I'll try a different brand). I'm not worried as long as they get plenty of water if they like dry better.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    mine will not drink standing water in a bowl, with the fountain they drink as it comes down out of the filter. The bowl is more for playing in. Bengals love water.
    LOL You just reminded me of mice in the water bowl. Unfortunately the water damaged them so I had to switch to plastic toys. Now Daisy won't put them in the bowl because she drinks from my bathroom sink.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.