Kittens litter trained but...

Kittens litter trained but...

Are there any tips for training kitties from tracking litter all over the house? I'd love to keep it in the box and for them to wipe their paws on the litter mat so I'm not tracking it around too. Also, after they've used the box, they sometimes scoot around to clean their butts and it gets litter and feces on my rug. Should I provide a new rug special for them to scoot around on? Is it unreasonable to expect them to wipe their paws?

Having a covered box helps, and best to make sure it's big enough too. They sell special cat litter mats that you put in front of the opening of the litter box, they are supposed to help the litter come off the paws when they walk out. You can't train them to wipe their paws, never heard of a pet doing that, dog or cat. If you don't have a cover on the box, you'll get more litter kicked onto the floor and you'll need a larger litter mat if you choose to go that route.

I heard some litter advertised on TV recently that supposedly doesn't stick to the paws so much, I think it was a clumping litter, not sure of the brand name, so that's a possibility if it works. I don't think they should be scooting around at all on the carpet, that may be a sign of worms....I'd check that out.

My cat's fur is not long, but it's super thick. I sometimes clear out some of the fur around the anal opening with a tiny clipper, so nothing sticks to his fur....been working well for me, don't do it more than a couple of times a year.

This was the litter. I use Fresh Step, but not this style, I use the non-clumping.

I like the picture on the box Alpha! It is so cute, the kitty is holding up her paw so everyone can see it is clean! The other kitty looks a little shy!
    ​Chicken lover!

I use Frisco litter from Chewy.com its fine like beach sand so it doesn't track much, no smell, no dust comes in scented or unscented $13.50 for 40 pounds
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Good deal Linda! Chewy.com is a good place to by it from!
    ​Chicken lover!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Having a covered box helps, and best to make sure it's big enough too. They sell special cat litter mats that you put in front of the opening of the litter box, they are supposed to help the litter come off the paws when they walk out. You can't train them to wipe their paws, never heard of a pet doing that, dog or cat. If you don't have a cover on the box, you'll get more litter kicked onto the floor and you'll need a larger litter mat if you choose to go that route.

I heard some litter advertised on TV recently that supposedly doesn't stick to the paws so much, I think it was a clumping litter, not sure of the brand name, so that's a possibility if it works. I don't think they should be scooting around at all on the carpet, that may be a sign of worms....I'd check that out.

My cat's fur is not long, but it's super thick. I sometimes clear out some of the fur around the anal opening with a tiny clipper, so nothing sticks to his fur....been working well for me, don't do it more than a couple of times a year.
    So, the box is large enough, I think, they're tiny right now. It doesn't have a cover but I'm going to get one when I can. I do have a litter mat. Also, the litter isn't being kicked out of the box. They're like two months old and tiny and the walls are pretty high on the box. The problem is the litter is sticking to their paws and then they track it around the house. Also, it is clumping litter so maybe I should try something else since obviously this stuff sticks to their paws. And they definitely don't have worms. They both tested negative yesterday. Unless the vet did something wrong and they do have worms, which I hope isn't the case. Also, when they scoot around, it's not when stuff is stuck to the anal opening, it's when there's stuff on the pee opening. So, I'm thinking maybe it all comes down to the litter type. I'll look into something different.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I use Frisco litter from Chewy.com its fine like beach sand so it doesn't track much, no smell, no dust comes in scented or unscented $13.50 for 40 pounds
    I think I'll check this stuff out! I'd like to find something that doesn't track much, that's the main issue.

my cats love it, and its delivered right to your door, Every six weeks I have a standing order of five cases of cats food and two or three bags of litter
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I only use clumping when I go camping, easier to keep the litter box clean, but at home I use the regular Fresh Step....seems like clumping is the latest thing and they're doing away with the regular kind slowly. I don't like the clumping because that's the only time I see it actually on my cat's paws. I wipe them down with a wet wipe to get it off before he swallows it during grooming. I heard a long time ago it wasn't good for their digestion, since it turned into a hard cement-like form.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.