Abnormal liver values in puppy

Abnormal liver values in puppy

I took our 7 month old dachshund to vet yesterday to be spayed. They did prelim blood work and her liver enzymes were elevated. They did another bile acid test and that too was abnormal. Values were not really high but abnormal . My dog seems to be in perfect health. They are suggesting a ultrasound of her abdomen. In retrospect we are afraid she may have had contact with pesticides. We had our house treated and my dog ran outside and licked the mans boots . The ultrasound is expensive but if it is needed we will do it. We just lost our 13 year old dog to liver disease and our vet bill was $8,000 . They attempted surgery and she passed away.
    We just cannot believe this wonderful baby is sick, she has helped us so much in our loss.
    Nancy

If I'm not mistaken a dog with high liver values should be eating a diet low in protein and fats to let things settle down and see if that helps

Did they spay her anyway?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Nancy, welcome to the forum. My condolences for the loss of your 13 year old, it's so hard when we lose our beloved pets. I'm sorry to hear your pup has elevated liver enzymes, has the vet decided they are high enough for real concern and to delay the spay surgery?

I know that ultrasounds can be very expensive, does the doctor feel that it's necessary to do right now? Have you been using this vet for a long time, would you consider getting a second opinion? I have no expertise in medical issues, but I think unless the vet said they were very elevated and it was an emergency, I might ask about using something like Milk Thistle (alcohol-free) as a liver support for a week or two and then have the liver re-tested.

I was just petting a tiny Dachshund puppy girl at the park, and she was so delicate and precious.

I just looked up my dog's test before neutering at 5 months, the only figures they gave me were below. Are your numbers much higher than mine were? I guess your test was more inclusive than the one they gave my dog?

ALT = 68 U/L Range - 8-75 Normal (high end of)
    CREA = .7 mg/dl Range .3 - 1.2 Normal

Beware cash sucking vets recommending expensive treatments. There are many vets for whom your much loved family member (dog, cat, etc.) is little or nothing more than a vehicle to further rake in more huge profits. Their favorite way to get their foot in your door is to point to some little number on a blood test that is not exactly what they claim it should be and say "Oh, you should be worried. You should be very worried. We'll have to get to the BOTTOM of this, leaving no stone unturned."

And leaving no penny left in your bank account.

I trust what vets say like I trust what used car salesmen say.

Good morning,
    Her ALT was elevated cannot remember the exact number. It was not extreme as I recall. They then did acid bile test and the post meal number was 60. The vet did not spay her , she is fearful of the anesthesia. Originally she told me that the elevated ALT could be from exposure to a cleaning agent or other toxin. I donít know if the bile acid test could point to same thing or if itís a definite indicator of liver disease. We are looking back and worry that she was exposed to pesticides they used to treat our log cabin for insects. She ran outside and licked the boots of the man who did the treatment. She eats everything outside and fear she ate a leaf that had chemicals on it on another occasion because she was slobbering really bad and vomited after being outside. She seems perfectly healthy, and although we will do anything for her we are hesitant to start running expensive tests .

It's good to use very little or no chemicals around pets, there are usually other ways to control insects or rodents. If I were in your shoes, I'd get another opinion from a second vet just for peace of mind. I'd ask for a copy of the test results too, so you can have them at home or to show to another doctor. I get copies for free, but I usually have to ask. I wouldn't run any really expensive tests at this point, could your vet be overly cautious, over-reacting, or really pushing to sell expensive tests? I understand they are rewarded for writing expensive prescriptions, selling 'specialty' food from the office, etc.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.