I have a 15 yr old Border Collie w/health problems

I have a 15 yr old Border Collie w/health problems

I have had my BC (Border Collie) dog/son since he was a pup. LB (Little Buddy) has been and still is a big part of my life. He dislocated his hip 1 1/2 yrs ago, so
    going to the dog park is no fun any more and I have to carry a 48 # dog everywhere he goes. A friend helps me, by taking LB outside 1 of the 3 times, LB goes
    out to do business. I live in a high-raise apt building. A wheelchair didn't work very well. And after a while LB was able to walk at least some. Maybe a 150 to
    300 feet.

He now has started to quiver and I'm concerned that is from pain. He was given pain med for a couple of months after the hip diagnosis. But started to walk
    again after that (at least some). He also has old dog vestibular disease as well. Which is why he injured himself, in my opinion. Lately he has had some bladder
    control problems, along with vomiting. I have had some luck controlling these two problems (i.e. getting him out more & less rich foods).

I can't bring myself to put him down. He still seems happy and sleeps next to me every night. Any suggestions on reducing or preventing the quivering and
    the incontinence?

Can I give him Advil gel caps? That pain med from the vet was expensive and in the past they would not write any more.

Any ideas on getting help teaching him to use a wheelchair? Maybe I didn't try hard enough in the past. That might improve his quality of life.

Do NOT give him advil, you can give him tumeric, that is a natural anti inflammatory and also good for joints. Think about taking him to a vet that does acupuncture. that will help him a lot. You can put diapers on him for the incontenentance. He probably doesn't even realize he's going.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. There are products available that help somewhat with pain and inflammation, like COSEQUIN....but they are expensive also, you might as well just get the pain pills from the vet. It's terrible to see them suffering, I know what you're going through. I agree with Linda on the benefits of Turmeric, although I've never given it to my pets. Also about the dangers of giving them over the counter pain meds for people, not something I would advise, even plain aspirin is dangerous.

Hi Doug- Please see my earlier post about green lipped mussel extract for bones/inflammation here. It has worked like a miracle for my dog Benny's bone/inflammation problem. The brand listed in that earlier post that I have used for years unfortunately now appears to be discontinued, but before my last bottle runs out, I have been trialing the different brand below (California Gold), which is actually much less expensive. This new brand has worked fine, too, however my 18 kg (40 lb) dog Benny needs a half capsule daily of this California Gold brand, not one third capsule like with the previous brand.

California Gold Nutrition Brand, New Zealand Green-Lipped Mussel Plus Ginger, Joint Health Formula, 500 mg, 240 Veggie Caps

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.