Do I need to rehome my aggressive cat?

Do I need to rehome my aggressive cat?

A few years ago, I adopted a rescued kitten. He's been an only pet his entire life, and has always been a loveable snuggly cat. When it came time to get him neutered, I read a couple misguided articles that wrongly said it was better to leave him intact if I wasn't having any behavioral problems. I made the decision to leave him intact. It was a bad decision, and I recognize that it's my fault.

Now Puppy and I have moved into a new house with roommates that have many pets. Puppy has turned into a very aggressive monster and has begun spraying and fighting. He's currently in isolation, but I fear solitary confinement is cruel to him. Is rehoming my only option?

Please don't call him an aggressive monster, he's not. He was always an only pet and very loving and snuggly. He is not only having to deal with a completely new house, new people in the house and many pets in the house. He is afraid, stressed out, confused and is just reacting in a way for self-survival.

Did you slowly introduce him to all the people and the other pets, what kind of pets are there? Are the other pets calm, well behaved and gentle or friendly with him? His reaction is normal, he's not being bad. He's in no way aggressive. The spraying is the only thing that may not be happening if he was neutered, but the fact that he's doing this in the emergency situation he's in is to be expected.

If you're home in the house all day with him, you might be able to calm the situation and train the other pets to be mellow with him. Right now he's in fight or flight mode, I hope he has high places and secure areas to retreat to when he's scared, you have to make sure he does. Isolation is cruel, I would never take my cat and put him into a situation like that then lock him in a room alone somewhere, that's just not right and abusive.

Alpha gave most of the advise I would have gave. Very good Alpha! BTW, Rehoming is not the only option, read ALL of Alpha's post and do not just skim it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    If you're home in the house all day with him, you might be able to calm the situation and train the other pets to be mellow with him. Right now he's in fight or flight mode, I hope he has high places and secure areas to retreat to when he's scared, you have to make sure he does. Isolation is cruel, I would never take my cat and put him into a situation like that then lock him in a room alone somewhere, that's just not right and abusive.
    Alpha, thank you for your response! I realized that I may have left some important information out. When I said isolation, I only meant from the other animals. I tried introduce them slowly in a neutral environment, and it seemed to go really well! It wasn't until he actually moved into the house that he started attacking. He actively seeks out the other animals to fight them. he killed a kitten.

When he's in my bedroom, he goes back to being a sweet cat, and he will even be nice to the other humans! But even in there, he will attack other animals.

I saw a hormone diffuser online to calm aggression in a multicat house, do you think that would work?

cats don't like change, you took him out of his home where he lived with just you, took him to a place with other animals and people, he is stressed and afraid and all he knows is to attack and defend himself whether the other cats will provoke him or not. He should have been neutered by five months old. Now he's older and he was already sexually mature before you had him neutered. Neutering him will not change his basic personality but it will calm him down but spraying is very common in male cats neutered after five months old. And once they start spraying its almost impossible to stop the habit,
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I don't think a diffuser would work, there's a reason behind his aggression and it's stress and fear, in my opinion. How many animals is he having to deal with? Are they all friendly and mellow or are some of them dominant or aggressive?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.