New dog older, both females

New dog older, both females

Our new rescue is 5 and our baby is 3. Both females, both fixed. Our 3 yr old seems fine outside with new dog, but inside we see a little dominance and jealousy when new dog is close to any of us.
    Our 3 yr old knows "be nice" and when she growls or snarls , we tell her to be nice and she stops. She has only snarled and crawled a little, seems to be a dominance issue as she goes towards the top of new dogs neck. No biting, and I hope it doesn't escalate.
    The new girl seems to have taken to my son as he's the only male in the house. I'm worried when we go out of town for work this coming week, the new girl will cling to my mother while we're gone and our 3 yr old is going to get more jealous.
    Anything we can do to help them get along better and asap?
    Today was the 1st day for new girl to be home with us. They were introduced at animal humane.

Anytime we pet the new girl, our 3 yr old starts growling and snarling at her. And when we pet them, we pet them at the same time the same way.
    And yet, here I lay in my bed with both dogs up here with me. Of course my 3 yr old is laying by my head and the new girl is against my legs.....initial growling but stopped when told to be nice and I pet them at same time while telling my 3 yr old to be nice.
    Very nervous about leaving them in a few days together with just my mother to tend to them.
    Are we going to be able to keep her, or will my 3 yr old never accept her?

Hi Michelle, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this, but based on my experience, periodic growling and snarling seems normal as each defines their own parameters with each other. Yes, I would want to try and talk them through it like you are describing, but if they aren't actually attacking each other (and I wouldn't even count a brief engage-but-then-fall-back) then I'd consider myself lucky that they are tolerating each other and on the road to one day getting along even better. Again, I claim no expertise.

you could have a problem with two females. They may come to tolerate each other but will probably never bond. Nothing fights like two females. You may have to put gates up to keep the separate to keep them in different rooms, taking turns to letting each out for time with you. I once had an older female shepherd, then I got a rescue, another female. The new dog was just happy to have a home and freedom but the older one constantly attacked her, had some pretty vicious fights. I couldn't even leave them alone together if I went to take a shower. I was constantly worried the new one would hurt the older one, she was so much younger, bigger and stronger. So I kept them apart for probably the first year. After that they more or less ignored each other but never bonded. My old girl was 14 and the younger was less than two. She was an abuse case and she bonded to me quickly of course making the old one jealous.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I think the growling and jealousy is common with the dog who has been there longer. I highly recommend that you don't scold your 3 yr. old, just kind reassurance that she has a new friend. Give the 3 yr. old a lot of extra attention and treats, in fact make them sit and give them both a small treat while they're together. Always give any food or treats to your 3 yr. old first......then the new arrival. That way she doesn't feel threatened like another dog has come into her house and is taking over her food, toys, etc.

Take the time to let them get to know each other too. Take them both on nice walks on a leash together, let them experience some pleasant things that they would both enjoy. It will take time, but it's normal for your baby to show dominance, that it's her house. The new rescue will soon learn her place in the pack. What breed are they?

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Hi Michelle, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this, but based on my experience, periodic growling and snarling seems normal as each defines their own parameters with each other. Yes, I would want to try and talk them through it like you are describing, but if they aren't actually attacking each other (and I wouldn't even count a brief engage-but-then-fall-back) then I'd consider myself lucky that they are tolerating each other and on the road to one day getting along even better. Again, I claim no expertise.
    I think we've gotten lucky. As they can lay within a foot of each other with no issues already. My 3 yr old has never done more than some small growling, always directed at the back of the neck of the new 5 yr old. She will act like she's going to nip her back neck (between the ears), but never actually does. They run all over the yard together, outside seems to be neutral ground for them.
    We've spoiled our 3 yr old from day 1 (6 wks old) and look forward to spoiling them both. Since we have not seen any serious aggression, I think we'll all be a bigger, happier family in no time.
    Thank you for the reply. Helps ease my nerves about leaving them with my mother to deal with on her own. My mother lives with my son and I, we just won't be here to help. We travel extensively for work.

Thank you all for the information and opinions from your own experiences. It gave me more comfort and confidence that this will work out. As it is just not an option for us to take the new girl back to animal humane. She's an absolutely great, loving, smart girl and deserves the rest of her life to be in a loving home. She's had a rough time for the past year. Injured, or shot in her left leg/thigh. Spent the last 40 days in a dog shelter. At her age, she's less likely to be adopted. And we just love her, Hera is her name now!! And I believe Athena, 3 yr old, will come to accept her as we have very soon.
    Thank you all again.

Thank you.
    My 3 yr old, Athena is Manchester Terrier/Shepard
    And the new girl, Hera is 5(?) and Australian Shepard X ?. They are both black and tan. Athena is about 2" taller (back), but they look almost identical. Both extremely loving, so eager to please. Niether needy for attention. We try and pet them and talk to them the same. We praise them both a lot for being nice and good girls, which they really are. We, humans, are all very comfortable and relaxed around the dogs. We're very aware of our moods affecting them. No biting, just growling, accepting dominance. Athena wants to play sometimes, but Hera's not into it so much...lol she's really laid back, mellow. Athena's not hyper by any means, but younger and I think trying to get to know Get a more too.
    Overall, I think they're doing great. Especially Athena, my baby. Not too thrilled about Hera, but accepting her.

It might have been a little easier if you introduced Athena to Hera in a neutral area, local park or something, then brought them both back home into your house together. I think they'll be fine as long as you give as much or even extra attention to Athena during this time...until she's sure she just has another family member and there's no invasion. I think those breeds will be fine together too, if they were Akitas, maybe not so much. They tend to be very territorial and dog aggressive when it comes to their food, possessions and family.

Yes, I was not pleased about taking my dog through the kennel and then introducing them not even 6' from the other dogs. I wanted them to bring the rescue outside of their facility. Not take my dog into the facility. They wouldn't do it. Definitely will not ever do that to one of our dogs again.
    They're both sleeping on my bed right next to me. Can't be that bad!!!! Lol

Love the fact that they're sleeping together on the bed with you! Relationships and bond slowly develop, looks like you guys are going to be just fine.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.