Kitty keeps laying in the litterbox! need advice ASAP!!

Exclamation Kitty keeps laying in the litterbox! need advice ASAP!!

Howdy y'all~~
    I've been searching all over the place trying to figure out how to care for my baby cat..
    She's 5 months old, we just got her a new litter box and cat litter and she keeps playing/laying in the litterbox!!!
    I've read online that it may be because of change/stress/illness or even just a phase, but I'm concerned about how dirty it may make her body as well!
    It must be extremely unsanitary right??
    Should I give her a bath?? I know there are parasites from their feces that we don't want transferred to us! (Yuck!!)
    We also are just waiting for this phase to end!! If you have any suggestions I am all ears!

Thanks again!

Welcome to hte forum Anna. Your search for answers will end here if you give us some more information so we can help you better. First of all, what is her name? Is she a rescue for from a cat breeder/pet store?

Being a new kitten parent, I am sure you have many more questions than a silly (and maybe stinky) behavior. If you are concerned about parasites, the best person to talk to is always your veterinarian. New cats need appointments the first week they are home even if they seem completely healthy anyway. Have you scheduled one yet?

Laying in the litterbox in this situation indicates it is your cat's "safe place" and she is scared in her new environment. I have seen cats sleep in litterboxes and toys in litterboxes at animal shelters. If you have a cardboard box she can fit into, find it and put blankets on the bottom so she will get the same "I am safe" feeling without looking like an elephant in the mud.
    Keep your cats safe during the holidays. They deserve a meowy Catmas.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.