I regret adopting my cat

I regret adopting my cat

I just adopted a five year old, really sweet cat a week ago and really regret it. I know I sound completely ridiculous because its only been a week and she's a really sweet cat, but I miss being by myself and feel extremely anxious and the thought of taking care of this cat for possibly another 10 years or more makes me ill. Anyone would want this cat, she is so sweet and doesn't bite or claw, but she follows me everywhere and always wants me to rub her head and pet her. Again, I know I sound stupid but I guess I didn't realize that I'm not that motherly and nurturing. I miss my privacy and not having to feel like if I don't pet the cat it's gonna make her sad. I feel so stupid but these other feelings of not wanting to feel like I in some way to have be a mother now are overpowering. What should I do? I seriously have considered giving the cat back to the shelter but I don't want to feel like the worst person in world, and I keep picturing the cat feeling unloved and unwanted and I really don't want that either. Any advice please, I feel awful, mostly for the cat.

she can't feel anymore unloved and unwanted than she does now living with you. Take her back to the shelter and give her a chance to have a real home where she will be loved and wanted. You should feel ashamed of yourself, she is not a stuffed toy to be thrown away because you didn't think about things before you took her, she is a living breathing being that has feelings.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I would keep her a few more weeks and see want happens. You might feel different.

Good luck!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

I agree with Linda, you should be eager to pet her and interact with her, the poor thing probably hasn't had any love and affection in awhile. Return the cat and let her have a chance of being in a forever home where she's welcomed and loved. It shouldn't be about you feeling like the worst person in the world, if you keep her and resent her being there, then you would be the worst person. Do what is best for the cat, I think you already know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Meggat1988 View Post
    have to be a mother now
    The cat's not asking you to put her through college. You don't even have to buy clothes for her. Come on, lighten up. Please breathe, and repeat after me, "I am not pregnant. I am not pregnant."

Meggat1988's friend: Oh Meggat, look at that cute cat over there.
    Meggat1988: [Loud screaming sound!!!]
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 12-02-2018 at 07:29 PM.

I also have a hard time with sounding stupid occasionally. The thing is, what would make you stupid is not telling us you want to return the cat, but the fact that you want to return the cat. Reason being to not know a cat needs love and care is to not know the cat is a living creature, a part of the animal kingdom just like yourself. You might want to get a stuffed toy cat to play with the same way a little kid does.
    Keep your cats safe during the holidays. They deserve a meowy Catmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Meggat1988 View Post
    I just adopted a five year old, really sweet cat a week ago and really regret it. I know I sound completely ridiculous because its only been a week and she's a really sweet cat, but I miss being by myself and feel extremely anxious and the thought of taking care of this cat for possibly another 10 years or more makes me ill. Anyone would want this cat, she is so sweet and doesn't bite or claw, but she follows me everywhere and always wants me to rub her head and pet her. Again, I know I sound stupid but I guess I didn't realize that I'm not that motherly and nurturing. I miss my privacy and not having to feel like if I don't pet the cat it's gonna make her sad. I feel so stupid but these other feelings of not wanting to feel like I in some way to have be a mother now are overpowering. What should I do? I seriously have considered giving the cat back to the shelter but I don't want to feel like the worst person in world, and I keep picturing the cat feeling unloved and unwanted and I really don't want that either. Any advice please, I feel awful, mostly for the cat.
    Meggat, I have to say that I commend you for reaching out to get other people's thoughts on your situation. Just the fact that you're doing that and you do feel bad mostly for the cat is a good thing. If you have any negative feelings about caring for the cat at all, please do the right thing for the kitty's sake.

She is sweet and loving and can't speak for herself, please make it possible for her to have a good life with another family. I don't know the cat's previous situation, who knows, an elderly owner may have passed on and that's why she's in the shelter. She's just seeking security, warmth and love. She's fearful and needs someone who cares and will protect her.

You can do your best to make sure she's offered that opportunity. We have to do what's best for the animals, they have no control of their destiny. Wishing you both the best.

I totally agree with. Linda and Alpha. The first step in choosing to return a cat to. the shelter is knowing you did not really want one. It is hard to accept the fact that you made a mistake. However, I want to know why you adopted a cat without thinking about the love and care she needs to have a long, happy life.
    Keep your cats safe during the holidays. They deserve a meowy Catmas.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.