Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    How late in the evening are you feeding him? When is the last time you take him out to the garden to go potty before bed? When you want him to retire for the night, are you also quiet in the house with lights out and ready for sleep? Do you have a safe area for him to go in the house if needed, like pads or papers? Just asking these questions because some changes may be key to his training.

I never let my pups out of the kitchen where they had the newspaper to use unless they were closely supervised, to correct them in the moment if they did start to do something on the rug. They should be picked up, even in mid-stream, and calmly told no....you go here....then put them on the spot you have where it's safe to go. When they're in the next room under supervision, and you start to see them head to the pad, paper or back door, then you know they're learning.

I don't blame your wife about the crate, our breeder insisted we use one even though we never did in the past and didn't like the idea. My boy's heart was about to pound out of his chest with intense screaming when he locked him in there, I was making numerous trips in there to calm him down in the middle of the night, only for it to start again when I left the room.
    That’s what we are faced with as well.

I think we have the night time routine down ok. Dinner is around 6:30pm and we then have a good play session until 8-9pm. We then settle him down around 9:30pm. Before that I take him out for a potty, then dim the lights - my two boys (9 & 12) also get ready for bed around 9-10pm so it works for us all. At around 10-10:30 I would take him (well, carry him actually as he is already very dozy or half-asleep) out for a final potty before putting him back into his open crate. He normally goes straight away within second when put down outside and went straight back to sleep as soon as I put him back into his crate.

He is not very good with the cold so we are testing with an area where he can go by himself indoor. We put a cardboard box with his sheet there and have been trying I get him to go in it on numerous occasions but so far no success - he just sat down inside the box and look at us quizzically. I don’t think he realises what we are trying to do and I think I we may have to leave this a while as we need to get him used to a consistent approach first. The idea is for him to get up and go there himself without waking us all up after going inside his playpen in the middle of the night. However with winter coming I can see some difficulties ahead.

We are getting better at managing his routine in order to avoid accidents inside the house but honestly are still some way from him being fully potty trained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just my opinion, but I think using sheets for him to go on is not a good idea, that's only teaching him to go on fabric, furniture, carpet, your clothes if they're on the floor etc. Pads or papers would be better, and you can put a tiny amount of his urine on them so the scent is there to follow. Show him when you do it, and always react to any accidents in a calm and gentle way, stay positive, don't scold, yell or strike.

he's to young to have separation anxiety, he's spoiled. Don't say anything to him, put him in the crate and walk away. If he cries ignore him, he'll stop. First couple of times will be rough for you but he will learn its not negotiable and he will comply. The whole idea of crate training is to keep him confined and to hold it, most dogs won't go where they sleep. So leaving the door open is defeating the purpose. You have to teach him words like "outside' and "go potty". Once he learns the words then if you want to teach him to go in a box put him in the box and say "go potty". Why would you put a sheet in the box? If you want to litter box train him put kitty litter in the box.

Don't let him chew on an old shoe either, they don't know an old shoe from a new one. Get him an antler, he can chew on that for hours. You can give him that in his crate when you are not home to give him something to amuse himself. Don't get a flat one that can slide down his throat, get one with the "points" (branches) on it. Elk antlers are harder than deer antlers so get the elk if you can. He won't chew through that. My shepherd is 7 years old and she still chews on her antler once in a while and she's had that since she was a puppy
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

When I said “sheet”, I meant the puppy training pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    ...you can put a tiny amount of his urine on them so the scent is there to follow. Show him when you do it,
    That’s a good idea - will try that and see if it any more successful. How do you get a tiny amount of his urine?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.