my shelter visit

my shelter visit

Went to the shelter today and brought our usual Christmas box for the animals. I brought 150 pounds of kitty litter, some blankets and a comforter I no longer use. Also five cat beds, several leashes and collars. food and treats and toys. I made the mistake of looking at the animals for adoption. They have a beautiful older bengal male that I wanted to take home but I don't need cats spraying and I know two males in the house would spray. This cat had to have an experienced bengal owner, he was kind of a grumpy old man, hissed and swatted at everybody and very vocal. I can't get him out of my mind, but I know it wouldn't end well, the girls would be ok but Orri is king here and would not like another male with his "harem".
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Great linda! Glad your helping your shelter!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

I thought you said Sandy is the alpha queen at your house. Also, why would two tomcats spray if both of them are neutered?

Very nice of you to donate so much stuff to your local shelter. Five cat beds? Wow, I can't imagine even having that many for only three cats. The shelter must love you for donating so much litter.
    Keep your cats safe during the holidays. They deserve a meowy Catmas.

neutered or not they can still spray, Sandy is the queen because he lets her but he's still my king. All the stuff we brought to the shelter was new, I seldom give used things. There was five cat beds that were on sale, the leashes and collars were on sale as well, the food and treats were regular price, the comforter I bought then didn't like it so it was practically new, the two blankets were new, just didn't need them. The shelter relies on donations and its bad enough the animals have to live in cages least they can have new toys and beds. Besides the things we brought also gave them a $50 donation.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Besides the things we brought also gave them a $50 donation.
    That's great! I want to do that to my shelter~ Perhaps I can some time!

Linda, how is your dog doing? Can I see some pictures? The only ones in you album are just of her head.

Nice that you're supporting the shelter Linda, you're smart not to bring another male into your home.

First time I've ever seen a bengal in a shelter and according to his card on the cage he has quite an attitude, His adoption has to be to an experienced bengal person and has to be approved by the director. But as we were leaving some man came in with a little sheltie he was surrendering. Makes me sad how pets are so disposable to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    That's great! I want to do that to my shelter~ Perhaps I can some time!

Linda, how is your dog doing? Can I see some pictures? The only ones in you album are just of her head.
    here you go yetti She's a big girl over 100 pounds

DSC_0145.1.jpg

First time I've ever seen a bengal in a shelter and according to his card on the cage he has quite an attitude, His adoption has to be to an experienced bengal person and has to be approved by the director. But as we were leaving some man came in with a little sheltie he was surrendering. Makes me sad how pets are so disposable to some people.
    Bengals should not be in cages. They have way too much energy to just sit there and look at people through steel bars. I volunteered at a shelter for over 8 years. The worst thing about it is chasing kittens to put them back in the cages because they knew what I was doing and tried to get away from me, then meowed their heads off when I locked them up.

don't remind me, I would love to take him but I know it wouldn't work and Orri has to come first. If it were a female she'd be home with me now.

DSC_0145.1.jpg
    She's beautiful!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

DSC_0145.1.jpg

Thanks Linda! She's a pretty dog!

(Just so you know, you spelled yeti "yetti".

Don't remind me, I would love to take him but I know it wouldn't work and Orri has to come first. If it were a female she'd be home with me now.
    Shame, but it happens. While looking for my fourth cat, I fell fin love with a male cream tabby who just wanted to cuddle and purr. Unfortunately Mom is unwilling to accept any risk of a cat peeing on carpet and insisted on a girl.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.