Took Bigfoot in Friday for Vaccinations at the Vets

Took Bigfoot in Friday for Vaccinations at the Vets

Took my dog in for vaccinations on Friday and he now weighs 39.5 pounds, he's filled out and fully mature so he shouldn't get much heavier than that. He was having intermittent loose stools for the past month, so the vet gave me Metronidazole and some powdered probiotics to sprinkle over his food. I didn't want to give him extra meds on the day he got his shots, so I will start on the Metro and probiotics tomorrow morning.

She said the loose stools were likely due to an overgrowth of bad bacteria in his system, it can be caused by dogs that eat goose or rabbit droppings. He leaves goose droppings alone when we're at the park, but we have a lot of rabbits coming into our yard every day and they definitely leave their calling card. Just saw one this morning near our pear tree. The hare droppings are more visible when we have snow on the ground, Hans use to eat them too....not much we can do about it, natural behavior.

Other than that, she said he was looking good, good weight, eyes clear, heart okay, no other problems.

Glad BigFoot is pretty healthy! Is he scared of shots?

No, he has no problem with them. They don't seem to be very painful at all, the the vets are very friendly and comforting.

glad to hear he's doing well, you could also get some powdered bone meal to add to his food, he may not be getting enough bone in his diet. And if he's eating rabbit poop watch his stools, they carry tape worms and if you see anything that looks like grains of rice its tapeworm.

Phoenix has to go in March for her update and Orri in May, Sandy was done last week.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thanks Linda, I think the only issue with him is the rabbit droppings at this point, and I will take your advice and be on the lookout for any tapeworms. I know Sandy checked out okay, and I hope that Phoenix and Orri do well with their uppcoming physicals. How is your Nanny doing these days, healthy and happy I hope?

Nanny is fine, she is about ten, she goes in June for her checkup but so far I've not had any health issues with her. I'm not sure of her exact age because she was a rescue but I've had her over nine years. Hasn't been a good month, My oldest daughter lost three cats this past month, and Friday another daughter had to have her's put down and today one of the bulldogs had to go to emergency vet, he has pneumonia, but caught it very early so he may come home tomorrow afternoon. And of course my sister lost Zeus. When our friend Deb died last August Connie had promised her if anything happened to her she'd take her two cats, so those are the only two she still has, these are young cats maybe two years old, the three she lost were old, the two brothers were 18 and the other was 16, she lost that one last Sunday due to heart failure
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Got to love that emergency vet. They wouldn't treat the dog until the estimate bill was paid which was $1500. He only went there because our regular vet isn't open but if he was not going really good by tomorrow he'd be on his way to Boston

The 16 year old one was the one that when my husband was working a truck came in from Texas to be unloaded, he heard a cat crying and looked and it was under the truck. Don't know where she came from or how she got under the truck but she would have frozen if I hadn't gone and got her. It was mid January and freezing outside. My husband hid her in his lunch box and called me to come get her. She was so tiny, her little legs were no bigger than a match stick, and she was so hungry, I gave her two cans and she was still hungry but I didn't dare give her any more. I brought her home and Penny wanted her so she took her, took her right away to a vet, she was full of worms and parasites but got her all cleaned up and she stayed with Connie when Penny moved and couldn't take her.

After Penny got divorced (very short marriage) she moved in with Connie and took the cat. Now Penny is planning on getting married soon. I like Nathan a lot, I didn't dislike her first husband but they had only been married a very short while and he got mad about something and gave her a black eye, she left and never went back. He fought the divorce but now she finally has it. Hope this time goes better for her

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Nanny is fine, she is about ten, she goes in June for her checkup but so far I've not had any health issues with her. I'm not sure of her exact age because she was a rescue but I've had her over nine years. Hasn't been a good month, My oldest daughter lost three cats this past month, and Friday another daughter had to have her's put down and today one of the bulldogs had to go to emergency vet, he has pneumonia, but caught it very early so he may come home tomorrow afternoon. And of course my sister lost Zeus. When our friend Deb died last August Connie had promised her if anything happened to her she'd take her two cats, so those are the only two she still has, these are young cats maybe two years old, the three she lost were old, the two brothers were 18 and the other was 16, she lost that one last Sunday due to heart failure
    Good to know that Nanny is doing well Linda, thanks. Sorry for your daughter, I can't imagine losing three cats in one month. Glad to hear that your daughter's bulldog may come out okay with the pneumonia, but my condolences that she had to put one of her cats down, so sad. Rest in peace Zeus. Hopefully 2019 will be a better year for all our furbabies.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.