Thoughts From A Pound or Shelter Dog

Lightbulb Thoughts From A Pound or Shelter Dog

This was interesting, thought I'd just post it here for all to read.

48415393_486762258514242_7765871247119876096_n.jpg

I think your VERY right Alpha! Thanks for sharing! I wish that could be everywhere.
    HELP SAVE GREYHOUNDS! GREYHOUNDS ARE IN NEED OF HOMES!

^^ The writer meant well and almost made it but unfortunately blew it at the end by unintentionally throwing a big shadow on the term "pound dog". The last thing innocent dogs in a shelter need is a negative image and poor reputation heaped on them. We're trying to show what wonderful, highly adoptable dogs are waiting at the shelters, not label them categorically as some bunch of pathetic losers. Yeesh. Put your pen down, dude. Not helping.

Whoooo! I did not think much of that last part DF! Good catch! To bad.
    HELP SAVE GREYHOUNDS! GREYHOUNDS ARE IN NEED OF HOMES!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    ^^ The writer meant well and almost made it but unfortunately blew it at the end by unintentionally throwing a big shadow on the term "pound dog". The last thing innocent dogs in a shelter need is a negative image and poor reputation heaped on them. We're trying to show what wonderful, highly adoptable dogs are waiting at the shelters, not label them categorically as some bunch of pathetic losers. Yeesh. Put your pen down, dude. Not helping.
    I disagree, and don't see it as anything negative compared to shelter dog, certainly not labeling them a losers at all. I've adopted a couple of pets in the past from pounds, just another name for a shelter, but usually run by the city. I don't see any shadows cast, I think you're overreacting, IMO. A lost pet gets picked up by the local pound, nobody claims it, they keep the animal for a certain amount of time up for adoption, nobody adopts the dog or cat, they are generally euthanized.

"Please never forget, I was a pound dog."

If this sentence does not paint pound dogs in a bad image, then there would be no need to "never forget".

"Please never forget, I'm a cripple."

Same damn effect.

The writer meant well, but should stick to his day job. Not helping any shelter animals with that sloppiness. Just the opposite, propagating a poor public image of them.

"Please never forget, I was a pound dog. All I need is a bit of time to adjust."

The posting is to remind people who adopt from a pound or shelter that they shouldn't get frustrated about troublesome behavior at first and end up returning the dog without giving him a chance.

It's for those who don't already understand how their new dog is reacting to everything in their new home. Not everyone knows these things and that's why so many pets are returned to the pound or shelter they came from in a week's time. I see nothing at all wrong with the posting, the last part just made it more clear. We'll have to agree to disagree DogForce on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    "I was a pound dog. All I need is a bit of time to adjust."
    ALL dogs need time to adjust. The meme stigmatizes dogs who pass through shelters.

Their new dog is reacting to everything in their new home. They shouldn't get frustrated about troublesome behavior at first and end up returning the dog without giving him a chance.
    ANY dog reacts apprehensively to a new home. ANY dog has some troublesome behaviors at first. Again, this is needless singling out of helpless, innocent dogs who are waiting at shelters for adoption.

That's why so many pets are returned to the pound or shelter they came from in a week's time.
    Exactly. MANY pets are sent to the shelter, not just pets that came from a shelter. The majority of pets in a shelter did NOT come from a shelter.

If they are messed up, it wasn't the SHELTER that caused it. No one's saying life in a shelter is great, but the dog ended up there through no fault of their own. The underlying issue is the BIPED whose actions and inactions forced the dog to have anything to do with a shelter in the first place.

The last part just made it more clear.
    What it makes clear is that the author is just enjoying indulging in a good sob ultimately at shelter animals' expense, foolishly spreading a reputation that will prevent yet another person from going to the shelter to adopt, because apparently from this meme the animals there are all wretched, damaged goods.

The writer should go to a good sad movie and blow their nose there. Stop screwing up shelter animals' already difficult situation even further with bad writing.
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 12-30-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.