How do you take such a good picture?

Question How do you take such a good picture?

Hey everyone!

Let's get right to it!

I forget the user name but someone on this forum took such a nice picture of a fish! It is so beautiful that please, if you don't mind, I want to share it. BTW, you might think I have been posting threads in the chit-chat section a lot lately....well, I have. Lots of things to talk about you know. Now, here is the picture:

34e686fc7fbb460b3d5c4c79ada96f0a.jpg
    HELP SAVE GREYHOUNDS! GREYHOUNDS ARE IN NEED OF HOMES!

Wow, that's a really cool photo, looks professionally made

After a bit of searching, I found that this image was taken by David Doubilet, a professional underwater photographer best known for his work for National Geographic Magazine. I can't find the full Exif data for this specific image but he does state that he works with... "a range of Nikon cameras, including the D3, D3S, D700 and an older workhorse, the D2X."

For the lens he states that he uses... "a range of Nikkor lenses, along with a few speciality lenses, such as a custom endoscope. For many recent assignments, we have been using wide-angle rectilinear zoom lenses, specifically the 17-35mm and the 14-24mm, which cover a wide range of subjects."

He houses most of his cameras in seacam housing and uses Sea & Sea YS-250 strobes for light, additionally carrying a YS-110 for extra light. He states he may use up to four strobes on one housing.

Lighting is one of the most important aspects of underwater photography as you begin to lose light rapidly the deeper you go. This will have been a wildlife shoot, he will have been scuba-diving and likely had spent a lot of time picking out his photographic subjects, patiently waiting for the shot, and using some expensive equipment to boot to get the image. He also processed the image in photoshop CS4. He took the image in 2009 and the statement regarding his equipment was from 2010 so he likely used the kit stated above for this shot but has also likely updated his kit in the interim.

Cool! Thanks.

So my hunch was correct, it was taken by a pro. How did you find out who made the photo Cat001?

By the way Mechi2, I have not seen you on for awhile...glad to see you posting again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    By the way Mechi2, I have not seen you on for awhile...glad to see you posting again.
    Hey, thanks, nice feeling knowing you've been noticed, sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself, lol

On google images theres a camera symbol that will say "search by image" when you hover over it. I intended to do a search for a version of the image with intact metadata so I could see how the picture was achieved (what camera/lens/settings were used and what processing was done to it). Instead I found many versions of the image so looked for a link to an original source or one where it would tell me who took the picture. Found one for National Geographic so was able to get sufficient information about the image from there.

Cool, that's some detective work!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.