Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How to stop barking?

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate View Post
    I completely agree. He swears she’s doing it just to piss him off and that she doesn’t do it when no one else is around.
    Is he completely alone, is your father gone too when she's quiet? How many other people are in the home besides the three of you? If she was doing it to piss him off (which is insane), then she'd do it no matter who was around. I think you need to have a frank conversation with him about reality, he gives himself too much consideration above all others in the house.

The world doesn't revolve around him, maybe he should try to figure out why he's bothered more than the average person about a dog barking, and why he has such a hot temper and low boiling point. He's weak to blame everything on that poor dog. How long have you two been married? He must have resented your father moving in with his dog from day one?

a couple of hidden cameras would show what's really going on. I wouldn't trust that psychopath around anything. God only knows what he does when he's alone with the dog.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

^ I'm inclined to be suspicious about this as well. It certainly is "convenient" that he says the dog is quiet when he is alone with her and everything is hunky dory at that time . Almost as if to draw attention away from the times he is alone with her. "Nothing to see here, folks. No Siree, nothing at all. Move along." If the behavior has gotten progressively worse, maybe it has gotten worse after each "hunky dory" session alone with the husband.

Hey, this rings a bell. Wait a minute.

Here it is. I thought I heard a story like this before.

Did anyone see what Furballs said? Now THAT'S a good idea.
    My chickens are outside...for good!

It wasn't that long ago when some people recommended training a dog by hitting them across the nose with a rolled up newspaper, if they had an accident in the house you rubbed their nose in it, etc. Depending on how you were raised and taught to treat animals, some people may be more physical and harsher than others. Someone doesn't have to be a psychopath to not care for dogs, yell at them or feel it's best to hit them when they do wrong.

The best thing for these people is to teach them that what they are doing is wrong, tell them why it's not right to treat an animal like that and help them to change. In this case I think it's a possibility for Desperate and her husband....sometimes you can get through to people like this and they will see the light and change their ways. I wish the best for Desperate, her father and their two dogs.

and how many animals will suffer at his hands before he "sees" the light?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hopefully none.

Wishful thinking Alpha, people don't change, they are what they are, they may try to change or pretend they do but sooner or later they revert and the real person is back

It does seem to take some very dramatic incident/experience to change someone's fundamental nature. Some near death experience, for example, or yes, even sometimes a spouse leaving them. Believe me, I'm all for words, but some things run very deep.

This might help: https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Dogs-to-Stop-Barking I have to agree about the e-collar comments above, while they get a bad rap, what's worse having to get rid of your pet, having someone hit it, or allowing it to get a quick and uncomfortable stimulus that it will associate with barking and most likely stop? When all else fails the collar is really the lesser of all the evils.

Maybe your dog has a very high appetite. you need to check if he's getting all nutrients. check your dog food. it could also be that he will need some medical help or a personnel trainer....i hope this will help.

Well, I have an emotional abusive husband. An ex-marine viet nam combat vet. Getting "rid" of him is not an option for me and not an option for desperate, whose position I totally understand. Get a bark collar for the dog-and no the dog is not capable of upsetting your husband on purpose. Check with your father, is he afraid of your husband? His fear could make the dog bark. Check with yourself-are you afraid of your husband? Seek professional help on how to de-escalate your husband's moods. Keep your father safe. Keep yourself safe. The dogs, poor things, are the least of your worries.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.