Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to stop barking?

How to stop barking?

Please help! I need fast effective solutions for a barking dog. Dog has a history of fear aggression with my husband, who can be a real a-hole and doesn’t have a clue about dogs, nor does he care. It’s gotten to the point where the dog will bark at any noises in the house, anyone coming up the stairs or walking by the bedroom. She’s always been a bit of a barker but it’s getting worse and my husband’s patience is running thin.

It’s especially bad with my husband moving about the house because he’s the loudest and I think because she’s afraid of him, but my husband is insistent that she is quiet as a mouse when it’s only him home, and that she’s only barking to piss him off and because she knows she’s protected when other people are home.

It’s getting to a point where I’m really worried that he’s going to hurt her. My husband is insistent that I need to just let him whip her with a belt or just hit her in the face to make her stop and that I need to stop protecting her. I’m scared that he’s going to hurt her and I’m desperate for another solution. Please help me show my husband that aggression is not the answer here.

The dog is barking because of all the anger and nervous energy going on around her. She has a right to be fearful if your husband is that aggressive that he wants to (or has already) whipped her with a belt or hit her in the face. Honestly, if it were me, I'd look into getting rid of my husband. If that's not possible, maybe you have a relative or friend who can take the dog into their home just to keep her safe.

I guarantee, if the dog wasn't afraid of a loud, angry, aggressive man in the house ever day, she wouldn't bark nearly as much and she'd feel safe and secure in her own home, the way it should be. You absolutely should protect her at all costs. Your husband needs help with anger management as a start. It sounds like this has been going on for awhile, does he beat the dog, has she ever had injuries, scars, etc. from him?

Do you walk her outside the house a couple of times a day for exercise and to get away from him? Exercise and loving attention at least from you will help with the barking, but the dog is not the one with the problem here, it's your husband. He needs to listen to you about calming down....for everyone's sake.

It's cruel and abusive to keep a dog in that situation, I hope you do what's best for her before it's too late.

Almost any bad behavior can be improved with calm, loving, positive training. Yelling, hitting, punishment, etc. only makes the problem worse.

I agree with Alpha, that lunatic needs to go. If he can't be good to the dog I doubt he's good to you or any children you have. If he won't leave then you need to go. Get out of there before he completely snaps and kills the dog and possibly you also. The man is a beast, he needs to meet up with a dog that won't back down. Maybe he can bully you and the dog but I guarantee he'd back down from an angry shepherd or pit bull.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate View Post
    Dog has a history of fear aggression with my husband, who can be a real a-hole and doesn’t have a clue about dogs, nor does he care.
    It sounds like besides being an a-hole, your husband doesn't really like dogs in general. If that's true, it doesn't look like he'll change anytime soon. How long have you two been together with the dog, I'm curious about if you got the dog together, or if you just brought her home on your own? Has he ever been nice to the dog?

Agree with Alpha and Linda. Get rid of your husband. What kind of person hits a helpless animal? A monster, that's what kind. Get the dog (and yourself) to safety and dump him.

If you don't want to do that, I would rehome the dog, but if you surrender your dog to a shelter, make sure it is a no-kill shelter that will not euthanize her.

We already don't know what he does to the dog when you're not around. There are multiple surveillance videos on the net of people beating up other people's dogs that were entrusted to their care.
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 01-03-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Getting rid of my husband isnít really an option right now. There are two dogs in the home, I had my dog do several years before I met my husband. He pretended to like dogs at first and everything was fine. Shortly before we got married, my father developed health issues and had to move in with us, bringing his dog with him. There have been a couple instances with both dogs and both are afraid of him, however each dog has her space in the house, and my husband usually stays down in the basement so everything is fine. My dog is obedient and doesnít really bark, so he doesnít have an issue with her anymore. But itís my fatherís dog that is the issue, and I canít make my father get rid of her. He does his best to keep her quiet but she doesnít listen to him. The only thing that seems to quiet her is when my husband barges in the room throwing a shit fit threatening to beat her, and of course that just reinforces my husbandís behavior because in his eyes aggression is the only thing that works on the dogs. He thinks that dogs just need to be ďbrokenĒ with a few beatings for them to be obedient. And I canít even show him any other way because in his eyes it works and yes the dogs are more obedient with him because theyíre scared.

Getting rid of him may be your only option for you, your father and the dogs. Get a temporary restraining order against him and tell him until he gets the help he needs he can't stay there any longer. If he refuses to comply you can tell him you'll have him arrested on a domestic violence complaint. That might scare him enough to either leave or change. I can't see him changing, he can't fix a problem if he won't admit there is one. But if you don't do something it condones his actions. You need to step up and do whatever you have to do to change the situation. It would also be a good idea for you to take some self defense classes. If this situation continues you may need it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Getting rid of my husband isn’t really an option right now. There are two dogs in the home, I had my dog do several years before I met my husband. He pretended to like dogs at first and everything was fine. Shortly before we got married, my father developed health issues and had to move in with us, bringing his dog with him. There have been a couple instances with both dogs and both are afraid of him, however each dog has her space in the house, and my husband usually stays down in the basement so everything is fine. My dog is obedient and doesn’t really bark, so he doesn’t have an issue with her anymore. But it’s my father’s dog that is the issue, and I can’t make my father get rid of her. He does his best to keep her quiet but she doesn’t listen to him. The only thing that seems to quiet her is when my husband barges in the room throwing a shit fit threatening to beat her, and of course that just reinforces my husband’s behavior because in his eyes aggression is the only thing that works on the dogs. He thinks that dogs just need to be “broken” with a few beatings for them to be obedient. And I can’t even show him any other way because in his eyes it works and yes the dogs are more obedient with him because they’re scared.
    I know it's not easy to just get rid of him. Your husband probably resents your father's moving in, but I commend you for helping your dad, both my husband's parents moved into the main floor of our home and we went to the basement. They were with us for several years before they passed on. My FIL had a major stroke, so he was bedridden, half paralyzed and couldn't speak or do anything for himself. We did not want either of them to have to go to a nursing home in their 80s.

If anything, your husband should make an effort to chill out, just for your happiness and well-being. He has to know it's not all about him, a marriage is mutual agreement for two people who love each other to live peacefully and make the best of challenges, like your father moving in.

What breed is your father's dog, are they know to be barkers? If not, your dad can take some steps to calm his dog and train her to be quiet, maybe even before she lets out the first bark. She still needs a break from being in the house, do you have a yard for the dogs, can you arrange a couple of long walks every day for her? This will all help with the severity of the barking.

Thank you. He is and has been making an effort and he wants harmony in the household. But he just genuinely doesnít like dogs, and he gets like this sometimes. I guess whatís making him mad at this point is that he says when itís only him in the house (which hardly ever happens because we try really hard to not let him alone with the dogs) that she doesnít bark at all. He swears that she is just being manipulative because she knows sheís protected when me and my dad are home. Iím not sure if that is true or not but assuming that heís telling the truth do you know why she might be doing that?

We do have a yard, and they are out quite a bit, but I will have my dad start bringing them on walks as well. We are not sure what breed she is, we got her from a rescue who said she was a lab mix but now that she is older she sort of resembles a cross between a labradoodle and Irish wolfhound. What sorts of things could I have my father do to stop her from barking or prevent it before she starts? I hear him telling her to be quiet but she doesnít listen to him. She will usually stop on her own once any commotion dies down, but my husband is just really irritated at getting barked at every time he walks down the hallway, and even though heís making an effort, eventually it just builds up to where he starts throwing a fit and talking about beating the dog.

sucks to be him hu? Poor thing, things build up and he explodes. You can't change the spots on a leopard and you can't change his basic personality. He's a bully and nothing will change until you stand up to him.

I hate to suggest this but it might be the only way to keep peace in your house, get a no bark collar. It runs on a battery. when it senses motion in the dog's throat of barking it will give a beep, if she doesn't stop immediately she will get a shock. She will only bark a couple of times then the tone will be enough to stop her. I don't use these types of things and seldom would recommend one but in your case I'm making an exception. Your husband is the one that needs a shock collar set on the highest setting, but you can't do that so to keep peace try it. It will work. It won't hurt her, its static electricity but its enough to surprise her and she won't bark.

check it out

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPTQ4XJ...detail_1?psc=1

Thank you for the suggestion. I know he is the one that needs the shock collar, if only that were an option. I just ordered a collar so will see if that works. I feel horrible doing it, but am really out of other options. I am also going to have my dad walk her more and use treats to reinforce when she is quiet.

better to give her a mild shock than a beating with a belt. Lesser of the two evils

I don't like shock collars but sometimes we have to use them. I don't have a dog so I never used one. It is awful what your husband is doing! I would have to leave the place if that happened to me! Good luck with the dog!

Hope the collar works.
    I love my chicks and they love me!

Thank you for the suggestion. I know he is the one that needs the shock collar, if only that were an option. I just ordered a collar so will see if that works. I feel horrible doing it, but am really out of other options. I am also going to have my dad walk her more and use treats to reinforce when she is quiet.
    I disagree about getting and using a shock collar for the barking, worse thing is to have someone get hold of the control, put the setting on high, and leaning on the button just to punish the dog. Maybe those citronella bark collars just just spray a scent.

If she's food driven, your dad can just tell her shussh....in a calm but forceful way, as soon as she even looks like she's going to bark. Then make her sit, calmly tell her good girl, while giving the treat. Dogs will react to tension of the people they're around, when the people are calm and in charge, the dog is more secure and calm.

the bark collar doesn't have a controller, it works with the vibrations of the dog's throat so no danger of him using it against her

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.