Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Food recommendations

why don't you cut out the kibble and just feed raw? Raw is the best thing for them
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

My feeling is that since meat and other animal products are implicated in all the most common diseases that debilitate and kill people, it seems unlikely that miraculously none of that would be true for another mammal. I'm not foolish and cruel enough to put a dog (or myself anymore) on a vegan diet, but I think grains, vegetables, and fruit have a place in the dog bowl. I hear the argument that wild wolves ate raw meat. But then again, wild wolves never had access to boneless chicken breast stir fried in olive oil with broccoli, carrots, green bell pepper, and napa cabbage. There's a case to be made for raw. It's just not where I would put my chips. Anyway, no judgments. With little known for sure, we must all flail about as we think best, and as we are able. Even if I am sometimes bad at holding my tongue online, I do respect other people's choices and decisions, and wish other people and the animals they take care of only the best.

The best food to feed your pet in the best quality food that you can afford. My dog has been on countless different foods (Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Hills/Science Diet, Zignatures, Acana, etc..). All of these foods were fine and didn't cause any upset stomach or deficiencies. Picking food for my dog has been tricky because she is allergic to beef and an alarming number of dog foods are processed with beef. I mainly stick to feeding her fish based foods (salmon, whitefish, etc) since this is what works best for her. Right now I'm actually gearing up to try a new brand of food: Firstmate. They have a grain-friendly formula and, with all the recent concerns about grain-free foods for dogs, I'm really excited for it. I personally stay away from raw diets for fear of giving my dog salmonella poisoning (which has been a recurrent issue with many raw food brands). I also advise against making your own dog food unless you can consult directly with your vet, as it is very easy for your dog to become deficient in certain nutrients if the diet is at all imbalanced. Also, for whichever food you do pick, use a dog food calorie calculator and the kcal/cup measurement for their food to know exactly how much they should be eating, as the "feeding guide" on bags is often vague and doesn't take into account factors like your dogs exercise level.
    Also, out of all of the brands I've tried for my dog, a few that she seemed to do well on were Blue Buffalo Taste of the Wild Salmon, Zignatures Whitefish, and Acana Heritage Freshwater Fish

Thanks for EVERYBODY's input. Speedy went back home and then had to move, landlord complained, but Speedy remained sweet lovable and all good things. Fortunately, she was adopted out to a great family that's related to my relatives. I miss her terribly.

BUT, I'm concerned about food again, for Ellie. I keep reading about "raw" food but to me, that means raw meat etc. I suspect that's not exactly what it refers to. Can someone give me the a real basic Rawfood101?? Thanks in advance.

how big is the dog? I've fed raw for years with no problem but you have to add the right additives for a balanced diet
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Dog? Do you mean Ellie?? She's 70 lean pounds, not big, shoulders like Schwarzenegger 40 years ago.

You would feed roughly 2 -3 percent of her body weight. Grind up some chicken bones and all, offer her a tablespoon and see if she will eat it, if she does then good, but not all dogs like the raw food. If she likes it and you choose to go with raw start out with chicken, grind it bones and all then add honest kitchen, that is all the "greens" she needs, mix about 1/4 cup of the honest kitchen with warm water, let it sit until it thickens then add it to the raw meat, then add 1 tablespoon of "missing link for skin and coat" to the food, that is all the vitamins and minerals she may be missing in the food. Also give one probiotic a day, 2 glucosamine pills (chewables) and one fish oil pill daily. I'm saying chicken but once in a while change the protein source so she doesn't get sensitive to any one meat. I grind enough for a week at a time, put in containers and freeze, take one out as you use one.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    You would feed roughly 2 -3 percent of her body weight. Grind up some chicken bones and all, offer her a tablespoon and see if she will eat it, if she does then good, but not all dogs like the raw food. If she likes it and you choose to go with raw start out with chicken, grind it bones and all then add honest kitchen, that is all the "greens" she needs, mix about 1/4 cup of the honest kitchen with warm water, let it sit until it thickens then add it to the raw meat, then add 1 tablespoon of "missing link for skin and coat" to the food, that is all the vitamins and minerals she may be missing in the food. Also give one probiotic a day, 2 glucosamine pills (chewables) and one fish oil pill daily. I'm saying chicken but once in a while change the protein source so she doesn't get sensitive to any one meat. I grind enough for a week at a time, put in containers and freeze, take one out as you use one.
    Thanks for the detailed information linda2147, but another question: Raw, as in raw, from a package, no cooking heating boiling just cold out of the package and ground?

no cooking, just grind it up raw, why I say bones and all is because if a dog doesn't have enough bone in their diet they will get loose stools and the stools need to be hard enough to express the anal glands when they have a bowel movement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.