Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Food recommendations

Food recommendations

I'm returning a adoptee pup to my granddaughter after taking care of her pup for 4 months. Pup is now 9 months old. I've been feeding her (the pup, not my granddaughter) Nutri Source grain-free dry with half a can of grain free canned on top. This doesn't appear to be easily available in her area. What do you recommend that is easily available from PetCo or PetSmart, both of which are close by to her. They don't appear to carry Nutri Source. I'm pretty much convinced grain-free is best. The pup is a half catahoula and I think half doberman. About 35 pounds. I've taken very good care of "Speedy" for 4 months and I don't want her eating the garbage sold at grocery stores.

the best thing for the dog would be to be fed raw. If that isn't an option then Orajin is the best of the best followed by fromm.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Just so you know, the Nutro Ultra is NOT a good dog food. It is kibble and kibble is bad for dogs. Raw is best...just like Linda said.
    I love my chicks and they love me!

I got confused in the past with similar names, Speedy's been getting Nutri Source, I've seen no bad reviews. Thanks linda2147 and Yetidog37. Weird thing is, buying Nutri Source on-line is 50% more than at a local pet shop here in the SWAMP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    Just so you know, the Nutro Ultra is NOT a good dog food. It is kibble and kibble is bad for dogs. Raw is best...just like Linda said.

It does not matter about bad reviews. It is for the sake of your dogs health!

By the way AyeAyeCapn, nice to see you back on this sight! At first I did not recognize your user name, but then I saw you had other threads...and a Album with pics of Ellie in it!

I feed grain-free canned (Wellness) along with regular dry dog food. I read recently that going full grain free is not the best for a dog's nutrition. I suggest Fromm brand, not sure if Petsmart or Petco sell it though. Here's there site where you punch in the zip code and they let you know what stores it's available in. https://frommfamily.com/retailers/where-to-buy/

Orijen is a very good name brand, but it's very expensive. Fromm cost a lot too but they are family owned and they use higher quality ingredients, Linda had recommended it here in the past, that's why I checked it out. I bought a small bag of Fromm because I plan to switch my dog from Costco's Kirkland brand to Fromm, once his old food gets to a smaller amount, I'll mix the new with the old.....always not to make any abrupt change in diet.

Glad that you're seeing to it that Speedy gets a healthy food, I'd still give her the Fromm puppy formula until she's a year old.

https://frommfamily.com/products/dog...ctline=&sort=4

Thanks again everybody. Ellie turned 5 today!! Untitled-1-R1W.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    It does not matter about bad reviews. It is for the sake of your dogs health!

By the way AyeAyeCapn, nice to see you back on this sight! At first I did not recognize your user name, but then I saw you had other threads...and a Album with pics of Ellie in it!

There are many articles in the news lately warning AGAINST grain free, and the FDA has issued an official warning as well. Grain free dog foods have now been linked to enlargement of the heart and premature death.

This does not appear to have anything to do with one brand or another. It's about the ingredients themselves. Evidently dogs are not meant to be eating so many peas, lentils, potatoes, etc.

No way would I feed grain free personally at this point.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ique-dog-foods

Happy Birthday Ellie!

Get a bag of honest kitchen, mix 1/4 cup of honest kitchen with equal amount of warm water, let it set until it thickens then add it to the grain free food, that is all the "greens" the dog needs plus its all the fruits and veggies they need in the diet
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Instant fairy tale to relieve people of their money and guilt. To give your dog the benefits of vegetables and fruit, get off your bottom and prepare them vegetables and fruit, not some processed goop powder from a package.

Top insurance against cancer and a host of other illnesses.

Time spent chopping and cooking to your favorite music in the kitchen is time you won't have to spend crying at the veterinarian.

Victims of artisanal dog food marketers, you are being farmed, like battery chickens.
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 01-05-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AyeAyeCapn View Post
    Thanks again everybody. Ellie turned 5 today!! Untitled-1-R1W.jpg
    Happy Birthday!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Loving this thread, I was about to ask the same thing!

I use the best reasonably priced kibble I can find (looking closely at the ingredients) and that is only the canvas to which I add real liver, real chicken breast, four vegetables, and low fat milk every day, along with fish twice a week. Also green apples and kiwi fruits. Sometimes bananas, raw tomatoes, pineapple, watermelon. Real food for real dogs.

When you think about it, what animal should be eating nothing but highly processed food from a bag and can every day? It's a convenient, lazy self-delusion we have all been seduced into for the profit of the pet food industry.

Just my opinion. Feed whatever you want and feel best about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.