CBD oil treatment for arthritic pain in elderly dog

Question CBD oil treatment for arthritic pain in elderly dog

Has anyone had good results from using CBD oil for their dog? I have an elderly dachshund who eats well, drinks water normally, and seems to be otherwise healthy, but has stiffness and pain due to age/arthritis. I would like to improve her quality of life, and have heard that good results have been achieved with CBD oil (or treats/supplements) but am uninformed regarding use. Help me keep my little pal with me, comfortably, for a little while longer, please.

I haven't used CBD oil for my pets, but I've tried it for muscle aches/pains myself and found it ineffective.

I have used some joint supplements for dogs in the past and they seemed to help with arthritis, of course if your girl needs real pain relief Rimadyl from the vet can help. I used to give Rimadyl along with a natural supplement with Glucosamine and MSM to my dog, and I believe the supplement helped.

Don't recall the brand name now, but similar to products like Coseqin. Adding a little krill oil or omega 3 fish oil will help too, also a Turmeric supplement can aid in pain from inflammation.

Good luck and nice to see you again.

I have to add something about trying CBD oil for your elderly dog's arthritis. It is easily available where I live and is even sold in the local pet store where I buy my pet's food, I'm sure it is by you too. Animals, like people, will respond to different treatments in their own individual ways, what works well for one individual may not work very well for another. There's no harm in trying the oil for a month or two and observe for improvement. If my furkids are hurting, I will try any remedy available, and natural alternative treatments are very often safer than prescription medications which are known for negative side-effects, some very severe.

thank you Alpha1

You're very welcome, wishing you the best and please let us know if you tried it and how she's doing....hugs. PS: I have used the CBD balm and have some at home, it is effective in relieving pain in a targeted area, but balm is not a likely option for a fur baby.

Hi OBMP-

My Benny uses this for joint issues, and the difference is like night and day for him:

New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel Extract

Benny weighs 17.5 kg (38.5 lbs) and he takes one half capsule of this product per day, in the morning with breakfast, about a half hour before his morning walk. To get half a capsule, I take a piece of sandwich bread and cut out 1 inch squares with a knife. I make an indentation in each square with my finger and divide one capsule (they open easily) between two squares. Then I close up each square like a homemade capsule with the powder inside. I make four "bread capsules" this way from one piece of bread. The first one I use that day and the other three I put in the freezer to use for the next three days. If your dog is bigger, you will need to up the dose proportionally.

New Zealand green lipped mussel extract is popular for both people and dogs with arthritis, and it works. Benny has been using it for years now.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I'm originally from Issaquah. :- )
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 01-21-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.