confused about kibble

confused about kibble

Hi! We recently adopted a yorkie mix. And I have now tried 2 different kibbles, tried adding meal toppers and bone broth to both and can't seem to get her into eating it. She will just lick all the broth and pick out the meal toppers and leave her kibible. I find that I have to sit there with her shaking the bowl and at night she will eat some food, but it seems to be about half the amount that is normally recommended for a dog her size. She love treats (She loves True Chews) so it isn't her appetite. Lately I have been holding back on all treats to see if she will eat, but still I need to really coax her into it. I tried Zingature salmon flavor and Taste of the Wild Venison so far.

I don't know what to try next. I don't know what is most healthy. After reading online I am finding out that maybe grain free is not good? But most of all don't know what kind that she will even be willing to eat. Does anyone have advice for kibble that dogs like eating?

How old is she, and what foods did she used to eat? you can mix old and new foods together to slowly 'wean" her off the old one. If she won't eat dry or canned kibble you can try real meats, but be sure to contact the original owner (or shelter if that's where you got her) what food she was fed.
    Good luck!

I agree with Jessie about finding out what they were feeding her. What did you feed the day you brought her home? It is important to mix old with new foods at first, so the dog's system can get used to the new. I heard that grain free was no good also, only tried a bag or two of it in the past on my last dog.

I'm currently switching my dog's dry kibble from Kirkland Signature Chicken and Veg. (from Costco) to Fromm brand, a better quality food. Along with that he gets 1/2 can of Wellness Beef, Lamb, Turkey or Salmon. Right now he's getting a mix and it's funny because he seems to be picking out the new kibble and leaving a few old crunchies on the floor around his bowl.

I personally think you should leave the kibble dry. Leave out a measured amount, like 2 cups, so you can monitor what she's eating. When she's hungry, she will eat, best not to overreact. It sounds like she may already be spoiled, which isn't a good thing. You're smart to hold back on the treats or table scraps until she's eating her own food. I know...tough love sometimes....but we all have to do it for them.

Also, you should feed her some canned every day separately, it's healthy for them to eat moist food also.

Hi! Thank you the replies! I will ask the shelter what she was eating. But I think she was only there for a couple days before we adopted her. but this is good advice. And I will try giving her a little wet food too.

put the food down, leave it for fifteen minutes, if she doesn't eat pick it up and nothing until the next meal. When she's hungry she'll eat, she won't starve herself. If you give in to you you are going to create a picky eater and nothing you give her will keep her happy for long.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

thanks. It's hard to not give her treats but you are probably right.

Treats are for doing good things, like obeying commands, not eating is not a good thing and she is playing you. If you keep trying new foods, she'll get tired of them all and always be wanting something else. She may go without eating for a couple of days but when the tummy starts rumbling she'll give in and eat what you give her. If you see that she likes meat have you considered feeding raw?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I agree with everything Linda said, but if it's just dry kibble, you can just leave it down in my opinion and monitor the amount she eats. Like Linda said, when she's hungry she'll eat. Tough love.

I wouldn't leave it down, she'll eat just enough to keep her going and still be picky, pick it up, let her go without and when food is offered to her she'll be glad to eat.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.