Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I stop cat scratching his neck wound!

How do I stop cat scratching his neck wound!

Hi all

My wife's cat Tom was allergic to his seresta collar and had a hairless slightly raw patch on his neck. Problem is every time a scab starts developing, he scratches it and from picture you can see he has made a right mess. .

Any ideas to physically impede him from scratching? Cone won't work as it sits above wound.

Sent from my LDN-L01 using Tapatalk

Hi Tornadof- Sorry this is happening. That patch is scary. Seresto collars are infamous. There are many reports of sickness and death. I would be concerned that cancerous ulcers could be involved in that wound. Has a doctor looked at it?

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting.

That picture looks horrible. It is more than slightly raw at this point.

I have read about people clothing cats who won't keep cone collars on. The wound needs to be covered up to prevent infection. I would try a bandana for small dogs.

I'd definitely go to the vet before that gets serious infected, plus it has to be very painful for the cat. Maybe the vet can also put one of those elastic self-sticking animal bandages on it in a way to protect it. The bandage comes in rolls, so you would have to replace when needed. Good luck, can't believe that's from a collar!

the hair around it needs to be shaved down to the skin so no hair gets into the wound. Then rub raw honey into the would. It has to be raw honey, not processed. This will help a lot until you can get him to a vet
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thanks everyone will take him to the vet coming Monday. He went missing for 2 days arrived home this am found him in the kitchen will making myself coffee. Strange to have just disappeared like that. I told my wife he didn't look well before he disappeared and I thought he may have wandered off to due. Had him at the vet 2 weeks ago to check his condition and couldn't find anything wrong.
    Weirdly wife saw worms in his stool and promptly dewormed him. This would also explain his condition having deteriorated.

Yeah wound looks nasty. Currently he has not left pillow photographed on since 6am and it's 20:30. Seems scared to even want to go out

Tom definitely should not go out anyway - ever, for any reason, even when healthy. Chances are he will disappear again for even a longer period and come back in much worse condition. That is a well-known proven scientific fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornadof5 View Post
    Thanks everyone will take him to the vet coming Monday. He went missing for 2 days arrived home this am found him in the kitchen will making myself coffee. Strange to have just disappeared like that. I told my wife he didn't look well before he disappeared and I thought he may have wandered off to due. Had him at the vet 2 weeks ago to check his condition and couldn't find anything wrong.
    Weirdly wife saw worms in his stool and promptly dewormed him. This would also explain his condition having deteriorated.

Yeah wound looks nasty. Currently he has not left pillow photographed on since 6am and it's 20:30. Seems scared to even want to go out

Yeah, I'd keep him in until he's back to normal and that wound has healed, if he were my cat. Good luck!

Came up with idea of cutting up one if thrombosis stockings with holes for his legs. Dabbed on honey last night and took old dressing off this am put some gentian violet and new stocking. Helps a little. Let's see how it progresses

Well done. Hope it will help. Looks so nice that soon every cat in the area may want one.

Looks good, poor kitty, hope it heals and doesn't get infected, hoping for the best!

It looks really bad as we all can tell! Im no doctor or anything but you really should go to the vet for that! They may put something like a cream or somethig to help soothe it! If u can try to distract your cat a bit! Play with it! Maybe something super light and soft to tie ofver it like a piece of bed sheeting! I dont know! Good Luck! I hope youre cat gets better! But please contact a vet right away!

I like it. Hope it stays on really well. Peel back the front end every night to check and see if it's healing.

Hi all

Thought I'd update you on Tom's neck wound.
    It's down to about a 2cm scab and has healed well albeit taken almost 2 months. At end of the day home remedy of gentian violet and initially honey as an antibacterial together with his "scarf" made from thrombosis stocking, did the trick. Biggest challenge I think to healing quicker was to try mitigate the scratching off of the scab everytime progress was made. Stocking def helped and with some duck tape......

Great news! Good going. Thank you for this update on Tom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.