Insecure dog problems

Insecure dog problems

Hello,

I have a ten year old puggle who, over the last few years, has become insecure about meeting other dogs. He puts his hair up, tucks his back end down, and freezes. He will let the dog smell him at first, and then as soon as the dog turns it back he will go after its back legs. While passing dogs that don't come up to him, if I have treats, he will completely ignore them. In large crowds, he wont even bother to look at other dogs even when I do not have treats. It appears to be more towards big dogs than little dogs. Dogs that are hyper he reacts to the most. Once he walks with a dog for a few minutes (I have him walk next to them but wait to have them meet. At that point, he sees nothing bad has happened and is no longer insecure about the dog), he has zero issues with it.

I used to take him all the time with new dogs and never had an issue. He would greet new dogs on the trails without any problem. I have trained all sorts of dogs. Worked with aggressive dogs and dominant dogs. I have almost always been successful in those areas of training. The insecurity issue is somewhat new to me. I am not sure how to go about addressing it. I want to be able to take him to the beach and trails again without worrying that he will react. I want him to know that it isn't a bad thing to have other dogs come check him out. Just am not sure where to start. On a leash, I can control it. Without one, I am at a loss.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Did anything bad ever happen to him involving a different dog? That might be the problem. You said he is a puggle, they are pretty small dogs so maybe he is trying to perfect himself after something that happened a while back he has never forgotten. Also, whats his name? (I'm asking this so if this thread goes for a long time, we can call him my name. )
    I love my chicks and they love me!

Thank you! His name is Quinn! No, nothing negative has ever happened. He's been tumbled in play a few times but held his own and kept playing. He actually used to be one my go to dogs to take to work with dogs with issues because most dogs naturally like Quinn. Not sure if maybe it is something I am doing?

Welcome! I know from going to the dog park for years that dog's will definitely feed off the other dog's behavior and personality. The hyper dog, the the ones that whine with excitement, can trigger reactions from other dogs. The dogs who are chilled out and calm, usually have no trouble with any other dog. Is he just reacting to dog's who exhibit some type of assertion, aggression or nervousness?

Get him checked by a vet, at ten years of age some of his senses may be fading such as hearing or eyesight and that could be causing insecurity problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    Get him checked by a vet, at ten years of age some of his senses may be fading such as hearing or eyesight and that could be causing insecurity problems.
    x2!
    I love my chicks and they love me!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.