Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My coop is almost done!

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    You need to put sawdust on the floor inside the coop, makes it easier to clean and you will have a lot of cleaning to do. In the winter you need to put straw and heat lamps to keep them from freezing. Also heat tapes around the water source to keep the water from freezing and hay in the nesting boxes to keep the eggs from freezing or getting broken. There is more to it than you think yeti. Chicken droppings are heavy, if not kept clean they will ruin and rot the floor of the coop. You cannot use the droppings for fertilizer, it will burn the plants, you have to dispose of it because it really stinks.
    Linda, what climate did you have when you had chickens? In my climate I don't need a heat lamp in winter.
    My chickens are outside...for good!

Yes Linda. I have some chicken netting that I'm going to put on the run when it is done. Yes, I will lock them up tight at night. And in the pictures you can see it has nesting boxes. And I'm not sure yet if my chickens are afraid of the dark. They are in my basement right now. When I turn the light off every night they don't cry or "scream".

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    the coop's outside needs to have a netting or some kind of cover over it, hawks will swoop down and grab the chickens, at night the should be locked inside because coons and foxes will dig under it to get them. Chickens aren't to smart but they do learn to use the ramp, at night they will huddle together inside because they are afraid of the dark. And it needs nesting boxes inside for when they start laying eggs

I'm in the northeast, its get below zero here. the nesting boxes need to have hay in them so when the chicken drops the egg it won't break. Do you know when the hen lays the egg its soft, when the air hits it then it becomes hard . Chickens don't cry or scream, they squak. You should put chicken wire on the floor of the outside run then cover it with dirt so nothing can dig under the run and get to the chickens. They can't defend themselves against attackers so you need to keep them as safe as you can. If a coon or fox gets in they will kill them all, they will kill one and eat it but kill the rest and leave them there
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Yes Linda, Predators are the worst part. I read a lot of books and also joined a chicken forum so I learned all about this stuff. Thanks though.

For some reason I can't upload pictures. I start them and then it says "Upload failed". Alpha?

You've uploaded so many Yeti, are they too large?

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    Predators are the worst part.
    One of the greatest dangers is wolves who dress up as chickens and ask to be let into the coop. You must be vigilant. Some of them are first-rate costumières, and they know how to get the voice just right, too. If you have doubts, you need to ask them to open their mouth. If your chicken has suddenly grown long fangs, you know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    You've uploaded so many Yeti, are they too large?

Hmmm, they might be...how do I make them smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    One of the greatest dangers is wolves who dress up as chickens and ask to be let into the coop. You must be vigilant. Some of them are first-rate costumières, and they know how to get the voice just right, too. If you have doubts, you need to ask them to open their mouth. If your chicken has suddenly grown long fangs, you know why.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    Hmmm, they might be...how do I make them smaller?

http://www.petforums.com/showthread....r-Create-Album

Thx

Looking good, the chickens must be itching to get into their new pad

Thank you!

They are already in the coop, just so you know. Tonight will be their 3rd night outside!
    Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    Looking good, the chickens must be itching to get into their new pad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.