My 16 month old doberman

My 16 month old doberman

I have a 16 month old doberman pincher puppy. Her name is Lexi and she is blue and brown. She is a very energetic dog that likes to explore and meet new people. She sometimes acts in her own little way that she doesn't really express to people. I love her very very much and show her all the attention I can. This is a picture of her as a very young puppy:
    She has been spayed and is very healthy. I'm currently undecided about where I am going to keep her as she is such a big dog and can be hard to maintain, but for the most part I think she is great. Lastly, I wanted to know if anyone else has had dobermans in the past and what to expect when caring one throughout life. I want the best for her and for her to feel like she is receiving it. Thank you in advance for your help.

Young puppies should be taken out once an hour, just to be safe (puppies have very small bladders), but the general rule of thumb is that a puppy can hold it one hour longer than it's age. For example, a two-month old puppy can hold it about three hours.

Dobermans can be a wonderful breed. There are usually full of energy and this can cause some issues for people who do not know of the breed. You can try by joining a speciality forum that specializes in talking only about the care of Dobermans. I will tell you what I know of the breed. My friend owned two of them at the same time. Dobermans need lots of exercise, they should not be allowed to roam free because the breed in misjudged. Someone could see the dog and mistake it for an attack. Dobies are loyal companions and they will crave your attention, no matter what it takes to get it from you. My friends Dobermans used to be taken out approximately every 2=4 hours for run. It is more convenient if you can take them where there is not a lot of people. This will help her focus on burning energy and not obtaining love from everyone she meets. If you can work through your problems with her, then I can promise you that she will loyal to you for life.

Lexi is a little cutie, what a sweet girl! My husband had a female dobie when we were young, before we were married. She was a wonderful dog, and evenutally died from cancer. We've started to feed our dogs more high quality food, since I think a lot of the chemicals and junk in cheaper dog foods can cause illness.

One thing I remember, is that she was very loyal and affectionate. She was often cold, and would sleep with us in bed for warmth. We had to put a sweater on her when we had her camping with us. She'd crawl into our sleeping bags, all the way to the bottom to stay nice and toasty all night.

Doberman's are not good swimmers, so a life vest is rcommended if around water. As far as where to keep her, I'd say to give her the run of the house when she's fully potty trained, and make sure she has warm beds and rugs to cuddle up on when her humans are gone. Basically give her lots of TLC, and she'll return the favor.

The dog is 16 months old, by this time they are almost fully grown. They will put on a few pounds but their height should be done. If she is acting hyper, it usually means she needs a good run or a bathroom break. If you have no room in your home and you have back yard, in the nice weather I am sure she would like to tied out with a long enough rope that lets her explore.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.