Ticks may be Hiding in Your Dog's Beardie

Ticks may be Hiding in Your Dog's Beardie

A while ago I was checking out Chooey's fur for tick infestation. She had some but nothing to be alarmed of. I got less than 5 all over her body.

Then I went to check out her face and guess where the little buggers are hiding!

They're all clumped in her beardie! I was surprised by the sheer number and "fatness" of them! They were engorged (and happy!). So I took them out one at a time. This just shows that if you have a dog with a beardie, make sure to check that out as well because they may be hiding there-feeding themselves!

Some dogs with beardies are Shih Tzus, Schnauzers, Old English Sheep Dogs, Pekingese, Lhasa, Bichons and the likes.

Thanks for pointing that out! My dog has a long beard, but luckily there are really no ticks in my area. He'll pick up almost everything else in his beard though!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out! My dog has a long beard, but luckily there are really no ticks in my area. He'll pick up almost everything else in his beard though!
    Better anything that can be washed away than ticks that cling to them. No wonder Chooey keeps on itching all over the place. Whitey used to have a lot of ticks. That's where most of the dogs were able to get them.

The weird thing is, Rin doesn't have any ticks at all even though she and Whitey are often together. Weird right?

Thank goodness we don't have ticks here.

A tick had bitten my poor little dog right under her eye. Watch out for them, and if they're deer ticks, be sure to get your dog tested for lyme disease. You really don't want them getting that.

Quote Originally Posted by nick87 View Post
    A tick had bitten my poor little dog right under her eye. Watch out for them, and if they're deer ticks, be sure to get your dog tested for lyme disease. You really don't want them getting that.
    We don't have Lyme disease in our country. This is something we are thankful for. I guess it's because we don't have deers or deer ticks here. My sister told me that a friend of hers contracted the disease from their dog. That's scary.

Although we don't have it here, what we have is Leptospirosis. Leptospirosis infection can come from the feces and urine of rats infected, also through open wounds. Both dogs and people are prone to it especially during floods. People living in swampy areas should also be careful with this.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.