Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone use Soft Paws?

anyone use Soft Paws?

Has anyone used this product called Soft Paws or anything similar to it? They are claw covers for cats. You put it over the cats nails and the cat cannot hook its nails to scratch.

What are your thoughts on this product? Does it work? Do you think it would be easy to put onto the nails of most cats?

I never used them on my cats, but it's certainly an option to declawing, something I would never consider. I guess they can be hard to put on, unless your cat is super relaxed and mellow, they're mentioned here in an older thread...http://www.petforums.com/f14/i-regre...my-cat-de-159/

I could only imagine it being a battle with my cat on trying to get them on. I guess if you start when they are kittens, then they would be used to it and it wouldn't be a problem. I think it is a better option than declawing. I just wonder how often you would have to change them?

I had some that I used with my cat while training her not to scratch. They were a pain to put on and I had to replace 1 or 2 every day, but it saved my furnature until I could teach my cats safe places to scratch.

Always remember to scold you cat a bit for scratching on things you don't want her to, then offering her a safe appropriate place to scratch. With treats, praise and plenty of good scratching options (with different textures) and your cat should learn to leave your stuff alone.

I have never tried them, but it is certainly an alternative to declawing. If your kitties go outside, I would not recommend using them as they can make things difficult for the cat. They would have more difficulty climbing trees, and where I live sometimes cats need to limb trees to escape predators.

Another thing I'm not so sure about them is the fact that they may increase the cats chance of getting an infection. If the cat gets dirt or something jammed between the cover and the root of their claw, then that could be painful.

I have never used them, but I know alot of people who have and they don't have any complaints. The person who talked about them falling off every few days... that's the first time I've heard that. Most people say they occasionally have to replace them. Maybe their cat is a master soft paw remover. I have never heard anyone having any sort of infection problem. I agree that they are for an indoors cat...although I've seen declawed cats climb trees as well as a clawed cat.

I would definitely use them on my cat, she constantly scratches my furniture,was thinking of clipping them.

My advice is to get one or two scratching posts...not the cardboard kind but something sturdy with sisal rope. Even sprinkle some catnip on it and your cat will use the scratching post instead of your furniture.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I had never heard of them until you mentioned them, and they actually sound quite handy and they definitely look cute!

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 11.41.07 pm.png

i might have to get me some for my Cindy!

I think the soft paws would be uncomfortable and I stick with my original post...."My advice is to get one or two scratching posts...not the cardboard kind but something sturdy with sisal rope. Even sprinkle some catnip on it and your cat will use the scratching post instead of your furniture."

Yeah, I don't really like the idea of them, they seem unnatural and uncomfortable for the cat, can also fall off anyway and probably a hassle to put on. Trimming the nail tips at home with a tiny cat nail clipper and having a couple of scratchers available is the way to go for me. A little effort goes a long way when it comes to training pets. BUT...Soft Paws is better than declawing, that is painful and abusive to the cat and I NEVER recommend anyone put their cats through that operation.

Definitely agree with you Alpha...NEVER EVER DECLAW!! I've also used double sided tape on a sofa and that worked well. But they use all the scratching posts and cat trees scattered throughout the house so they catch on quickly with some positive reinforcement.

Oh DON'T you dare DECLAW!!!!! The cruelest thing you can ever do! Get as many scratching posts as you need but NEVER declaw!!!!! Like Alpha said even Soft Paws would be better. Esme had a good idea with double sided tape where scratching is unwanted

Yes,I think this is great idea.So,the cat cannot hook its nails to scratch or hurting you or your family members.So its works out.

They may be great for some cats, but not so great for others.

My friend put these on her cat, and within a few nights he hurt his paws attempting to chew them off his feet. So if you decide to get them, keep a close eye on how your cat reacts to the new fashion statement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.