Antifreeze can be very toxic to dogs. It contains ethylene glycol which makes it lethal to our pets. As little as a tablespoon being ingested by a dog can be fatal.
Antifreeze can be found in:
- Snowglobes (just in time for the Holidays)
- Car Radiators
- Pipes inside the house during winter
Antifreeze can cause severe poisoning. It affects the liver, the kidneys and the brain. Symptoms of Antifreeze poisoning are as follows:
2. Uncoordinated Movement
4. Seizures or Shaking or Tremors
5. Excessive Urination
First Aid Treatment
If your dog has ingested the Antifreeze within a two hour time frame, you could try to induce vomiting This can be done by giving the dog hydrogen peroxide (1 tsp/5 lbs of weight but not more than 3 tsps). Do this not more than three times with 10-minute intervals.
If he doesn't vomit, be sure to call the vet.
For more information, feel free to visit the links below.
Winter Holiday Pet Poison Tips
Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs