Antifreeze Ingestion is Fatal to Dogs

Antifreeze Ingestion is Fatal to Dogs

Antifreeze can be very toxic to dogs. It contains ethylene glycol which makes it lethal to our pets. As little as a tablespoon being ingested by a dog can be fatal.

Antifreeze can be found in:

• Snowglobes (just in time for the Holidays)
    • Car Radiators
    • Pipes inside the house during winter

Antifreeze can cause severe poisoning. It affects the liver, the kidneys and the brain. Symptoms of Antifreeze poisoning are as follows:

1. Drunkenness
    2. Uncoordinated Movement
    3. Diarrhea
    4. Seizures or Shaking or Tremors
    5. Excessive Urination
    6. Vomiting
    7. Coma

First Aid Treatment

If your dog has ingested the Antifreeze within a two hour time frame, you could try to induce vomiting This can be done by giving the dog hydrogen peroxide (1 tsp/5 lbs of weight but not more than 3 tsps). Do this not more than three times with 10-minute intervals.

If he doesn't vomit, be sure to call the vet.

For more information, feel free to visit the links below.

Winter Holiday Pet Poison Tips
    Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

I've heard stories were people didn't know that antifreeze is fatal to animals. They leave out the jug of antifreeze open and it spills and the animals ends up drinking it because it has a sugary taste to it. It is sad.

Thanks for the reminder Haopee! Lots of antifreeze is used here in cars during the winter months, something I'm always watchful for, telltale puddles in the street or in parking lots...big lure for young puppies who'll eat/drink anything.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~

I have heard of that happening around here where someone left some anti freeze lying around, and the dog drank it and died.Another thing that annoys me is the town council go around spraying weeds that come up on foot paths where people walk their dogs.

Our neighbour (some distance away) had a German Sheppard that he would let out loose in the evenings..
    His neighbour (on the other side) had some old clunkers and naturally some of them leaked antifreeze.. Well, the dog licked up the pleasant tasting liquid and finally died..

Another thing to watch for is Warfarin...
    Many folks around here use that poison to kill mice, rats as well as chipmunks, squirrels, moles, raccoons, skunks and whatever...

Well, if a dog (or cat) kills and eats a rodent that has eaten the poison, it too will eventually die....

Another thing are animal traps..
    Many (including me) use killer traps to get rid of woodchucks (gophers)..
    Must keep the domestic animals away from those traps...

When I was young I used a few poison bait traps for mice, until I learned more and stopped that practice, not I don't even have traps, it's the cat's job now..
    They give Warfarin/Coumadin now to people in small doses for blood clots. Seems like fish oil, garlic oil or natural vitamin E would be the healthier choice.

Didn't know about antifreeze in snowglobes , haven't had one of those since I was a kid. I remember one time when I had a new puppy, seeing some green colored water streaming down the block along the curb, I saw my neighbor outside washing his car, and had to ask him what that was. He was using Simple Green soap, so that was a relief.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.