Results 1 to 6 of 6

Antifreeze Ingestion is Fatal to Dogs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,593

    Antifreeze Ingestion is Fatal to Dogs

    Antifreeze can be very toxic to dogs. It contains ethylene glycol which makes it lethal to our pets. As little as a tablespoon being ingested by a dog can be fatal.

    Antifreeze can be found in:

    • Snowglobes (just in time for the Holidays)
    • Car Radiators
    • Pipes inside the house during winter


    Antifreeze can cause severe poisoning. It affects the liver, the kidneys and the brain. Symptoms of Antifreeze poisoning are as follows:

    1. Drunkenness
    2. Uncoordinated Movement
    3. Diarrhea
    4. Seizures or Shaking or Tremors
    5. Excessive Urination
    6. Vomiting
    7. Coma

    First Aid Treatment

    If your dog has ingested the Antifreeze within a two hour time frame, you could try to induce vomiting This can be done by giving the dog hydrogen peroxide (1 tsp/5 lbs of weight but not more than 3 tsps). Do this not more than three times with 10-minute intervals.

    If he doesn't vomit, be sure to call the vet.

    For more information, feel free to visit the links below.

    Winter Holiday Pet Poison Tips
    Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    109
    I've heard stories were people didn't know that antifreeze is fatal to animals. They leave out the jug of antifreeze open and it spills and the animals ends up drinking it because it has a sugary taste to it. It is sad.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,829
    Thanks for the reminder Haopee! Lots of antifreeze is used here in cars during the winter months, something I'm always watchful for, telltale puddles in the street or in parking lots...big lure for young puppies who'll eat/drink anything.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    994
    I have heard of that happening around here where someone left some anti freeze lying around, and the dog drank it and died.Another thing that annoys me is the town council go around spraying weeds that come up on foot paths where people walk their dogs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Massey, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    106
    Our neighbour (some distance away) had a German Sheppard that he would let out loose in the evenings..
    His neighbour (on the other side) had some old clunkers and naturally some of them leaked antifreeze.. Well, the dog licked up the pleasant tasting liquid and finally died..


    Another thing to watch for is Warfarin...
    Many folks around here use that poison to kill mice, rats as well as chipmunks, squirrels, moles, raccoons, skunks and whatever...

    Well, if a dog (or cat) kills and eats a rodent that has eaten the poison, it too will eventually die....

    Another thing are animal traps..
    Many (including me) use killer traps to get rid of woodchucks (gophers)..
    Must keep the domestic animals away from those traps...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,829
    When I was young I used a few poison bait traps for mice, until I learned more and stopped that practice, not I don't even have traps, it's the cat's job now..
    They give Warfarin/Coumadin now to people in small doses for blood clots. Seems like fish oil, garlic oil or natural vitamin E would be the healthier choice.

    Didn't know about antifreeze in snowglobes , haven't had one of those since I was a kid. I remember one time when I had a new puppy, seeing some green colored water streaming down the block along the curb, I saw my neighbor outside washing his car, and had to ask him what that was. He was using Simple Green soap, so that was a relief.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Senior Forums - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum