Why Do Dogs Lick Their Wounds?

Why Do Dogs Lick Their Wounds?

It is said that dogs lick their wounds because their saliva contain enzymes that can heal it.

This is only half true. For one, the healing enzymes in a dog's saliva is very small that the effect of it is minimal when it comes to cleaning and soothing the wound. However, it is believed that licking their wounds is the only way they are able to treat themselves reason why they do this.

Unfortunately, wound licking can even worsen the dog's wound-even turning it septic.
    I love my dogs to the power of infinity and my dogs love me.

I agree, if licking is excessive, it can have a negative effect on healing.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I agree, if licking is excessive, it can have a negative effect on healing.
    Have you ever had a dog who excessively licked their wounds? My Shih Tzu kept on licking his wound on the genital area that it turned septic. We eventually had to bring him to the vet because he had severe matting on his little boy area (he stayed with someone else so I was surprised to see this) and it had pus due to his excessive licking.

We used Neosporin (antibiotic ointment) instead of Betadine and gave him Amoxicillin to help fight the infection.
    I love my dogs to the power of infinity and my dogs love me.

I didn't realize that only a small amount of the dogs saliva had the healing enzymes- and not enough to really justify them cleaning it.

Although, I think it does make sense if the dog gets obsessive with the licking it could counteract the smalls benefits it does have.

Thanks for sharing the information though!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.