Results 1 to 10 of 10

Tail Docking: What's Your View?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,554

    Tail Docking: What's Your View?

    Personally, I'm not a big fan tail docking unless it is deemed necessary for the dog's health or safety. In our country, dog show standards dictate for some breeds to have docked tail before they could qualify.

    Tail docking is banned in South Africa, Scotland, most European countries and Australia.

    Cosmetic tail docking is banned in England and Wales.

    Tail docking is not banned in the US, Canada, and most Countries in Central and South America.

    What about you?
    I love my dogs to the power of infinity and my dogs love me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,700
    I've had four schnauzers, and the breeders docked the tails on all of them, I imagine they do it shortly after birth. Two came with ear crops also, and the other two, we had their ears done by our vet. My views have changed, and I will no longer have any type of cosmetic surgery on any of my dogs in the future. They do require that tail and ears are done for show dogs in America, otherwise they can't compete. In my opinion, they should change those rules. I wouldn't be opposed to a ban.

    I've seen some shows on the TV show Animal Precinct, where these people try to perform these procedures on their own at home, with no medical assistance. This causes those dogs to suffer with much pain and infections, those people should be severly punished. Some dogs have their ears cut with regular scissors, then each time they try to even them out, they cut some more. One poor dog had a large rubberband very tight on his tail, because the owner wanted it to self-dock by cutting off circulation.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Glastonbury, England
    Posts
    749
    If God hadn't meant them to have tails, He wouldn't have given them tails!
    Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim. Everything is worthy of kindness.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

  4. #4

    Tail Docking: What's Your View?

    I'm for it for actual working dogs after seeing a healer get his tail stepped on by a cow and completely crushing the bones and removing about half the skin, also of course for health reasons (trauma, cancer, etc). I absolutely hate ear cropping though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Wales, UK
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightofalbion View Post
    If God hadn't meant them to have tails, He wouldn't have given them tails!
    Could not agree more. Cannot see any reason why it's necessary - any dog should be loved as it is, as nature intended.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyanimal View Post
    I'm for it for actual working dogs after seeing a healer get his tail stepped on by a cow and completely crushing the bones and removing about half the skin, also of course for health reasons (trauma, cancer, etc). I absolutely hate ear cropping though.
    That's bad. If it's a herding dog, then it's okay with me, makes sense.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyanimal View Post
    I'm for it for actual working dogs after seeing a healer get his tail stepped on by a cow and completely crushing the bones and removing about half the skin, also of course for health reasons (trauma, cancer, etc).
    What a sad story. I've also heard that docking of the tail is done for working dogs because their tail gets in the way, although I never knew of any examples of this happening (until now). My breed is in the working group, and they are sometimes used for herding sheep and cattle, maybe that's one reason they dock the tails, although I'm sure it's more for the dog show aspect of the breed.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    50
    I think some dogs are also prone to breaking their own tails on things as well. I've had a few boxers and they all had their tails docked when they were little puppies (by the breeder). But I've never had their ears done. Not only do I think they're even cuter floppy but I also imagine walking around with those bandages probably doesn't feel good. I don't know what I think about their tails being docked. I asked my vet about it once because it seems mean to me but he told me that if you take it to him to have it done then he makes sure it's good and numb first and there doesn't seem to be much discomfort. I'm not sure I'd elect to have it done but if I ever want to show my Boxer he'd have to have a docked tail.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Aumlanka View Post
    I think some dogs are also prone to breaking their own tails on things as well. I've had a few boxers and they all had their tails docked when they were little puppies (by the breeder). But I've never had their ears done. Not only do I think they're even cuter floppy but I also imagine walking around with those bandages probably doesn't feel good. I don't know what I think about their tails being docked. I asked my vet about it once because it seems mean to me but he told me that if you take it to him to have it done then he makes sure it's good and numb first and there doesn't seem to be much discomfort. I'm not sure I'd elect to have it done but if I ever want to show my Boxer he'd have to have a docked tail.
    Vets know better. A friend's schnauzer had to have her tail operated because the breeder cut it too short and Pixel was experiencing pain in her little nubbins.


    No Tail Left Behind by Pixel Blue Eyes

    It's just annoying that some people would rather do it themselves without prior knowledge and expect that everything will be fine.
    I love my dogs to the power of infinity and my dogs love me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,700
    Ouch...that looks so sore, so sad for that poor baby.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. 10 Commandments (Dog's Point of View)
    By Alpha1 in forum Dog General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM
  2. Tail Chasing Behavior
    By Alpha1 in forum Dog Training and Behavior
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Senior Forums - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum