Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Need to vent a little bit of frustration!

Hi Alpha1 - that's a good idea, do you mean ignore her completely, even if she asks for a fuss (i.e. if she comes and sits next to me or licks my hand?). I've not thought of trying that, but happy to give pretty much anything a go at this stage.

She's fine with my dog, pretty much ignores him but will occasionally snuggle up with him. No fear at all, just a slight confused/apprehensive reaction when he's playing with dogs and being boisterous with them as she doesn't understand what he's doing.

Absolutely so nice to connect with you! Although I'm not fostering at the moment, my landlord has decided 3 dogs is plenty for now, I plan to get started again as soon as I move. A couple months ago I had a little pitty girl named Amelia, she had such bad Demodex she was just bleeding from being so dry =( Poor girl but she got adopted yay and we're ready for another!

It certainly is the best thing I've ever done! At one time we had six dogs (including my own dog and one long term foster), at the moment we have two (my dog and one foster still waiting for her forever home) but on average we have four dogs in the house. I love it and get withdrawal symptoms if I go without one for too long lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinch7 View Post
    Hi Alpha1 - that's a good idea, do you mean ignore her completely, even if she asks for a fuss (i.e. if she comes and sits next to me or licks my hand?). I've not thought of trying that, but happy to give pretty much anything a go at this stage.
    I guess I was just thinking of not approaching her to pet her, whatever causes her to cry, urinate and run away. If she comes to you, then it's a different story, she should get soft talk and pets if possible. I think if you ignore her when she's off on the couch alone, instead of going to her for a pet...she may come to you more and more.

It will be connection initiated by her, on her terms. I feel she will gain some confidence that way, and the bond between both of you will grow stronger. It should help her gain trust.

Definitely worth a try, will give it a go. I rarely approach her for a fuss, only to occasionally drop her a treat now and again, but I do move over on the sofa to give her a stroke if she's there. Will leave her to it and I'm sure she'll come to me in time. Thanks for the advice

Think I received the best Christmas present ever yesterday, Katie has had a fantastic application from what seems to be her perfect home. Her forever family are not at all put off by how scared she is and have all the time, love and patience she needs. They're hoping to come visit her in the next few days. Please cross your fingers everyone, and hope this is the happy ever after she so deserves! x

Katie is such a sweet looking little girl, and I hope she has found her perfect forever home, enjoy your new life little one.Thank you to those who foster and love these needy little souls, you are doing a wonderful job.

Wonderful news Goldfinch, keepin my fingers crossed for that sweet girl.

Looking good for this lovely girl Her visitors adored her and can't wait to take her home. Just waiting on the results of their home check and all being well she should be curled up on her forever sofa to see in the New Year.

Looking good for this lovely girl Her visitors adored her and can't wait to take her home. Just waiting on the results of their home check and all being well she should be curled up on her forever sofa to see in the New Year.
    Yaay!!! Such good news for that sweetie, hope they pass the home check!

Paws were crossed for little Katie! Any update? I hope she found a home for the holidays

Hi furryfoster. Katie had the perfect ending - on Boxing Day I received an amazing application for her and she went off to start her new life on New Years eve what a way for her to start 2013! I've not yet heard how she's getting on in her new home, but sure I will get some piccies of her once she's settled in. Thanks for asking I miss her sooo much, but new foster Woody is certainly keeping me busy!

Ok I just have to say no offense to anyone but I do not agree with the pet as much as possible comment. I know it seems like the best thing to do but in my experience and training that is the worst thing you could do. When you are petting a nervious dog you are rewarding the behavior. You want respect and trust, but you wont get it if you are rewarding the wrong behavior. Only touch when she is calm, submissive, and wanting your attention. I know it sounds harsh but think about it.

Hi - thanks for the comment. I understand what you are saying, but what I was doing (and what most of the advice has been) is to ignore her unless she comes to me and then fuss and pet her for being brave. She's gone to her forever home now and the last update I had said she was coming on in leaps and bounds so very happy ending here.

She's gone to her forever home now and the last update I had said she was coming on in leaps and bounds so very happy ending here.
    Sooo happy to hear that Katie's doing well in her new home, I've been wondering how she was!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.