Any advice please - dog chewing

Any advice please - dog chewing

Hi all - just wondering if anyone has can offer any help re Katie the nervous JRT foster I have. She's been with me for 3months now and is slowly improving. She's never, ever chewed anything before in the 3 months she's stayed with us.

She sleeps in our back room (it's an arm span wide and runs the length of our living room - the back half is storage and is separated off with a dog den at the front - a few dog beds, some toys etc separated from the main room by a baby gate). When we put our Christmas tree up at the beginning of December we had to move a small shelf unit that has dog blankets, leads, collars and harnesses on it into the dog room to make room for the tree. For two nights there has also been the foam inside of a sofa shaped dog bed in there standing up against the wall while the covers where being washed.

Yesterday was a normal day, no changes to routine or anything what so ever that could have spooked her. This morning, I came downstairs at the usual time to find that she had pulled all the leads and harnesses etc off the unit and chewed through most of them, completely destroying them. She had also completely destroyed the foam bed, chewed it to bits!

She doesn't know how to play with toys, so although we always leave he with some she doesn't know what to do with them. We've been trying her with kong toys (she loves treats so will try to get the treat out) to try and teach her what to do. She doesn't have separation anxiety at all either.

It's a long shot, but does anyone have any thoughts or help?

Do you think that she's getting anxious, because you moved that dog unit into her room? Maybe there are familiar smell, that makes her worry she's about to be moved out and lose her home? Could it be that the close contact with those items triggered some type of stressful or fearful memory? If she's starting to feel insecure about her safety, she will definitely act out.

Hi Alpha1 - thanks for the reply. I don't think that's it, because the unit went in there three weeks ago and it hasn't bothered her in the slightest. Before that, it was out in the main room so she had been around it every day and had a good sniff as well. I think it's unlikely that it was a problem last night after 3 weeks of no issues? I don't know though!

I agree, if it's been there for 3 wks without incident, that's probably not it. But something is bothering her, it would be so nice if they could just talk to us and tell us what's troubling them. Will she chew on something like a rawhide bone?

I so wish she could talk! She does love rawhide bones so perhaps I'll get a few, worth a try!

Hi GF. Have you ever considered that she might have just found her own toys? After all, sometimes it's a matter of finding them the perfect toy. And also, maybe she's gotten used to the fact that people are taking care of her that she's started opening up to you guys.

Because my sister used to confine Rin at the back, without toys, she doesn't know how to play with them either. I've tried squeakers, kongs, almost everything. Then one day, I decided to bring a stress ball with me and she immediately took it as her own and ripped it apart.

Is Katie your foster that hid under the garden shed?

Hi Haopee - you may be right there, she did start to enjoy kong toys before she left for her forever home as she loved food and treats, so maybe one night she just got bored and decided chewing the leads looked like fun!

This isn't the same foster - Katie was a very scaredy girl, but she went to her new home on New Years Eve. My current foster is a scaredy (probably ex-breeding) Shih Tzu and is the one that went under the shed. She's off to her forever home this Saturday and has gained a small amount of confidence while in foster with me

Thanks for the reply - life would be so much easier if they could just talk to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinch7 View Post
    Thanks for the reply - life would be so much easier if they could just talk to us!
    It's a foster parent's joy to see the fruits of their effort and labor of love. I am glad that she started to warm up.

Speaking of you IF, I just wanted to share something interesting to you. It's called a Bowlingual Doggie Translator. It was originally made my a Japanese toymaker named Tomy Takara but I've read it's being sold in the US.

For the sake of entertainment purposes, you must watch this video! LOL. This really made my day. And no, it's not that accurate!

And here's the one originally from Japan.

Wow that's interesting - although the lady in the first video made a good point, one of the joys of dog ownership is that they can't answer you back. I did have a bit of a giggle and would love it was accurate, but I have doubts!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.