Hacking and gagging after teeth cleaning

Hello friends,

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post. I have a question that has probably been addressed before but I need to ask someone who knows.

I am owned by an 11+ year old Papillon who adores me and I him. I had his teeth cleaned this past Thurs. by our local vet and this has happened before about 2 years ago when it was last done. He went under anathesia and has been gagging and has a hacking cough ever since. I called the vet back on Monday and he prescribed Clavamox antibiotic as a remedy. It is now Wednesday and I don't see improvement.

Has anyone experienced this before and is there some other reason why this happens. It wasn't as bad when I had it done 2 years ago but now it seems worse. He is basically very healthy otherwise and I am very concerned about this. Please help with whatever advice anyone can give and thank you very much in advance.

Welcome LGF. I don't have any experience with vet cleanings, as I have never had them done. I don't like the idea of the frequent anesthesia. I've had good luck with scaling my dog's teeth at home, but that needs to start as puppies...and I know it's not a realistic expectation for all pet owners.

I'm guessing that it might be a reaction to the particular type of anesthesia they used this time, maybe different from last cleaning. The other thing would be that maybe there was something that happened during the procedure that shouldn't have, like the dog had something go down his throat and is now stuck there, causing problems.

In my opinion, doctors are often quick to hand out antibiotics for everything. Even if it's suggested that something may have gone wrong with their end of the process, maybe performed by a hygienist that had little experience, they will rarely if ever admit fault. Another reason I avoid unnecessary procedures when I can.

There are other causes which can develop in small dogs that would cause the gagging and coughing, related to the cleaning or not, like mentioned in this article...http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...treatment.aspx

I hope your Papillon feels better soon, and it's nothing serious. I don't blame you for being worried, I would too. Hopefully someone here has personal experience and can give some advice.

Thank you Alpha 1 for your response..... I agree with you that he is having a reaction to the anathesia as the same thing happened 2 years ago but it wasn't as bad as this time.

He seemed to be a bit better this morning with just a slight episode which stopped within 20 seconds. He is eating well and drinking with no problem. He has lots of energy too and there doesn't appear to be anything stuck in his throat. I think the tracheal windpipe was irritated by the anathesia tube or it will take some time for the anathesia to come completely out of his system. I will give it to the weekend and if it's not gone by then, I will take him back to the vet and see if something else will help.

I don't think he has tracheal collapse. I read the whole article you provided and he doesn't seem to fit the bill there but we'll find out for sure. I do appreciate what you have done here and thanks again.

You're very welcome, and I do hope that he gets over it soon. Good to hear that he appears healthy otherwise and is eating and drinking okay.

Quote Originally Posted by LGF View Post
    Thank you Alpha 1 for your response..... I agree with you that he is having a reaction to the anathesia as the same thing happened 2 years ago but it wasn't as bad as this time.

He seemed to be a bit better this morning with just a slight episode which stopped within 20 seconds. He is eating well and drinking with no problem. He has lots of energy too and there doesn't appear to be anything stuck in his throat. I think the tracheal windpipe was irritated by the anathesia tube or it will take some time for the anathesia to come completely out of his system. I will give it to the weekend and if it's not gone by then, I will take him back to the vet and see if something else will help.

I don't think he has tracheal collapse. I read the whole article you provided and he doesn't seem to fit the bill there but we'll find out for sure. I do appreciate what you have done here and thanks again.
    The first thing that went through my mind was something might have been left in his throat like Alpha has mentioned. By the way, I also noticed that your Papillon is 11 already. I know it's not as old, but when it comes to those ages, anesthetic isn't often encouraged because of its effect on an older body.

I do hope that its just a mild reaction but if it really concerns you, you might want to ask for a second opinion. As Alpha1 had mentioned, some of them won't admit they did something wrong. I know because I've been to far too many vets that's as wrong as their over confidence.

Odds are he has an irritation in his throat from the endotrachial tube used for the dental. It's actually fairly common in brachycephalic dogs and should go away on its own. The antibiotics will prevent a secondary infection if he were to aspirate anything into his lungs while coughing and wont help with the inflammation. You could try some benedryl to help the cough. As long as his appetite and energy levels are good I wouldn't be too concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyanimal View Post
    Odds are he has an irritation in his throat from the endotrachial tube used for the dental. It's actually fairly common in brachycephalic dogs and should go away on its own. The antibiotics will prevent a secondary infection if he were to aspirate anything into his lungs while coughing and wont help with the inflammation. You could try some benedryl to help the cough. As long as his appetite and energy levels are good I wouldn't be too concerned.
    My teacup poodle had his teeth cleaned yesterday under anesthesia and one tooth extracted. He started coughing and gagging last night and continues today. He is drinking water and eating fine. You mention giving some Benadryl to help the cough. Do you mean the allergy tablets or is it a liquid? Also, how much for just a six pound dog.

I heard with Benedryl, the dose is 1mg per pound when using the allergy pills. But I would caution you to call the vet and get approval before giving your dog any over the counter medications, just to be safe.

My dog has been prescribed 50mg benedryl by the vet, and he is 65 pounds. We have to alway be careful with our little furkids. Cin1, welcome to the forum!

Cool Gagging and Coughing after teeth cleaning for small dog

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I heard with Benedryl, the dose is 1mg per pound when using the allergy pills. But I would caution you to call the vet and get approval before giving your dog any over the counter medications, just to be safe.

My dog has been prescribed 50mg benedryl by the vet, and he is 65 pounds. We have to alway be careful with our little furkids. Cin1, welcome to the forum!

Thanks so much! Trying to get the hang of using the forum.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.