Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best cat toys?

Best cat toys?

What are some of the most effective toys you guys have used before or that you can see your cats getting the most enjoyment out of?

An all time favourite of my Arthur is TWIST TIES! He goes crazy over them, especially when I wrap them around my finger to make them kind of bouncy. He'll bat those things around until they go flat again, and then I just wrap them around, and off he goes again! Another favourite are those little catnip mice from the pet store. He always ends up losing them, which is why we go for twist ties - they're free (come with the garbage bags, and we don't use them for those) and plentiful in supply.

My kitty has never shown much interest in most store bought cat toys, like the balls with bells in them, and anything that makes noise.

He also has a favourite stuffed lion. No catnip there, but he'll throw it into the air and try to catch it. Same story with an old feather duster. Ahh, my cat loves to play ^_^

My boy likes the busy balls with the bells in them. We have 13 of them, and I'm lucky if I can find one around the house. I have to look under furniture, behind door, etc. and gather a few now and then for him. That's one of the toys my dog won't chew up either.

He had a couple of those little natural looking mice, that squeak when you touch them (not when you squeeze them). He absolutely loooved them, but the dog kept chewing them up. One day I saw that here were two button batteries in a chewed one, so I stopped buying them. Those are supposed to be dangerous for pets to swallow. Probably would have a few if I didn't have a dog.

Just a 2 liter bottle cap will keep him occupied for awhile, but I'm constantly getting them out from under the fridge and stove, etc. He steals pens too, carries them around, plays with them by throw rugs. He broke one open on my carpet already (red ink of course).

One time I bought all of these little furry mice off of ebay. They were the best cat toys ever. They were inexpensive and my cats had a lot of fun with them. Some of them looked like real mice and other ones were brightly colored. It seems like their favorites were the brightly colored ones.

And the all time favorite toy of all of my cats.....pom pom balls. You can get these at the dollar store, walmart, just about any store. They are the little soft balls made for crafts. I'm not sure if yall know what I'm talking about. My cats hide them everywhere, dig them out, toss them in the air, put them in their food, bat them, swat them, you name it. Even the baby kitties love these too. And I would highly recommend these balls for a first kitten toy as well.

Ooh, thanks for the pom pom balls idea. I wonder if Arthur would go for those. That would be a nice way to change it up for him, and I think I'll head to the dollar store later this week and pick up a few. We'll find out! ^_^

I've been very disappointed with the feather type tease toy on a wand. The small versions that he likes, cost $3 - $5...but they don't last at all! The last one I bought from Petsmart lasted around 20 min, before the feathered head fell off. This is only light play, with one kitten, are they made to fall apart so the consumer buys another...and another??

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I've been very disappointed with the feather type tease toy on a wand. The small versions that he likes, cost $3 - $5...but they don't last at all! The last one I bought from Petsmart lasted around 20 min, before the feathered head fell off. This is only light play, with one kitten, are they made to fall apart so the consumer buys another...and another??
    That's too bad about the feather toys. I'm sure it is simply marketing, to be honest. I've always found that normal household objects (i.e. free toys!) provide my cat with the greatest entertainment. He's never really been all that fond of anything I've actually gone out and paid for. Bottle caps, twist ties (oh he loves those), basically anything he can just bat about with his paw, especially if it moves a little or makes a noise. I don't know what it is with those twist ties, but they never fail until they get stuck under the couch or something. He'll try for a while to get those things out, but eventually just come back for a new one. ^_^

You make a good point, he is happy to play with bottle caps, etc. He loooves the battery operated squeaky mice that squeak when touched, but with the dog, they don't last long. I haven't tried the twist ties yet, but I have some lying around and I'm sure he'll like the change.

You make a good point, he is happy to play with bottle caps, etc. He loooves the battery operated squeaky mice that squeak when touched, but with the dog, they don't last long. I haven't tried the twist ties yet, but I have some lying around and I'm sure he'll like the change.
    If you do try out twist ties, let us know how your Loki takes to them. I'd be curious if he likes them as much as Arthur does.

Quote Originally Posted by skarlett88 View Post
    If you do try out twist ties, let us know how your Loki takes to them. I'd be curious if he likes them as much as Arthur does.
    Will do! Have some in the garage, will twist them to delight him, and report the outcome.

I made two toys for him today, double twist ties, which I twisted into a loop. He showed a bit of interest, short-term, unfortunately he doesn't really seem to love them. Too bad, price is right, LOL.

Ah well, price is right indeed :-) I always take a single twist tie and just twist it around my finger a couple times before giving it to him. I'm sure you'll find something your kitty loves just as much.

Ah well, price is right indeed :-) I always take a single twist tie and just twist it around my finger a couple times before giving it to him. I'm sure you'll find something your kitty loves just as much.
    Maybe I'll try again using your technique, maybe I didn't make it springy or interesting enough for him.

Maybe I'll try again using your technique, maybe I didn't make it springy or interesting enough for him.
    Hehe, maybe. Ah the science of the twist tie. Not just an ordinary twist tie, oh no...

I buy all my pet supplies from Dr's Foster and Smith. They have a great selection of everything (including cat toys) in my eys and many others. I went on their website yesterday to place my order for my kittycats food and saw their prices are lower than they have ever been. I think you guys to check out their site! Happy Friday everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.