Thread: Is it harder to train a pedigree dog than a mutt?

1. Is it harder to train a pedigree dog than a mutt?

We have had a number of dogs over the years and I'd definitely say that the mutts were always easier to train. What does everyone else think?

I found that my pure bread Australian Shepherd has been by far the easiest dog I have ever owned to train. This might just be because of his bread but I have owned a fair amount of mutts in my life time and for some reason I have always found that the pedigree dogs were easier to train by a long shot.

I've owned some Standard Schanuzers, and they are smart and quick to learn. My husband had a Doberman when we first met who was very well trained and eager to please. I think it depends on the breed, or the mixed breed for that matter.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~

I think it is a combination of breed and temperament. The smartest dog I ever had, Dee Dee, was a mixed breed terrier from the pound. She was far and away the most intelligent little dog I ever had. She was also one of the most stubborn creatures on the face of the earth. She knew the names of every one of her toys (dozens) and could learn commands quickly & easily, but would only follow through if she felt like it. Our pure-bred Rottweilers are also very intelligent. They are quick to learn and easily trained; however, our youngest, Sasha, who is very bright, is also very stubborn & willful. She has been the biggest challenge for us. She is my husband's 6th Rottie and my 4th, so there is a lot of experience here with this breed.

Mutts are no simpler then Pedigrees to train. It all depends on the dog, after all it is the dog who is learning the new behaviors. There is so much discussion regarding differences between mutts and purebreds, but what it forgotten is that all dogs are technically mutts. Purebreds come from different breeds being bred to create a hyper bred. I think that any dog can be trained no matter what breed it may be. Some dogs are just more stubborn then others and this is what causes the difficulty in training.

I think some dogs are just harder to train our shepherd is quite smart, but the labrador has a mind of his own and will do things when he is ready, maybe thats being smart also.lol.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.