Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cheap food vs expensive food, does it really make a difference?

I don't know if its available in Uk but if you are interested you could go to the website and see if they can ship it to you. But it would probably be expensive, its expensive to begin with. And missing link is even more expensive, a 5 pound bag is $50 but you only use a spoonful sprinkled over the food.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

feed raw, end of problem, they you know exactly what your dog is eating.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

You can know exactly what the dog is eating without feeding a raw dirt. How many people cook for their dogs and feed them table scraps? Of course, there is a big difference between knowing the ingredients and giving them what they need in the right proportions.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

I guess I must be missing something, I've been feeding raw for years, Phoenix is raw fed. I guess all the show people that feed raw don't know what they are doing either. You are awfully quick to judge on something you know nothing about.

When raw is done right, it's great. I never said it is a bad way to feed dogs. What you are missing is the fact Nature's Variety and a few other pet food brands make raw diets commercially, which I am sure are not perfect because they do have ingredients dogs don't need. Also people can make a raw diet from scratch and mess up the recipe - in which case, they know what is in it but not if the amounts are correct. Generally if you make it from scratch for years and know what you are doing, yes, raw is the best diet for dogs. I am not judging anyone for preferring to feed raw and truly believe it is much better for dogs than the junk food at pet stores.

Quote Originally Posted by lolacherrycola View Post
    Although I realise every dog is different, does anyone find any real difference between the cheap and expensive brands of dog food? We had one dog it took us two years to find a food that wouldn't cause him to have hair loss, where as our current dog we could feed anything and he would be perfectly happy. How have other people got on with this?
    Although it may be a bit too late. My experience with dog food is the cheaper it was the worse my dogs health was. A few years ago I had to have my family dog put down due to diabetes. The vet said her cheaper food (at the time although in her long life she ate many types/ brands of food) could have caused it but she could not for sure say. But now I only feed my dog and cats purina one or purina pro. As a result there fur is shinny and they are very healthy. But that is my dogs/cats your dog seems to have some issue with food, you can always ask your vet what is best. I hope I have helped

How ironic. Purina is one of the worst pet food brands to ever exist.

I read two 5 star reviews of Nature's Variety Instinct about diabetic cats being able to take lower doses of insulin. In fact one of those cats stopped the shots altogether!
    Last edited by CatMom1994; 05-18-2018 at 05:33 PM.

I feed raw chicken and Blue Buffalo to my pets. So far so good!

Hugs, Saav
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post

I read two 5 star reviews of Nature's Variety Instinct about diabetic cats being able to take lower doses of insulin. In fact one of those cats stopped the shots altogether!
    I had a diabetic cat. I fed her raw chicken and baby food meats and she beat diabetes butt for 3 years. She went down from two shots a day to one. Remember, this has to be regulated and monitored by the vet. Regular checkups and monitoring needs to be done. Please don't take any advice here that isn't from a certified vet and even then, always have your cat or dog monitored closely when it comes to health issues such as diabetes. There is no cure-all online to fix health issues such as diabetes.

Hugs, Saav

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Purina is one of the worst pet food brands to ever exist.
    Some Purina products are better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Some Purina products are better than others.
    True. I had two cats many years ago who lived to 21 and 22, a brother and sister. They loved their Purina cat chow!

Quote Originally Posted by Saav View Post
    I had a diabetic cat. I fed her raw chicken and baby food meats and she beat diabetes butt for 3 years. She went down from two shots a day to one. Remember, this has to be regulated and monitored by the vet. Regular checkups and monitoring needs to be done. Please don't take any advice here that isn't from a certified vet and even then, always have your cat or dog monitored closely when it comes to health issues such as diabetes. There is no cure-all online to fix health issues such as diabetes.
    I was not trying to imply certain pet foods are cure-alls for diabetics. Someone's vet blamed diabetes on a dog's diet. Truthfully it would be a miracle if I could take care of a diabetic cat.

My vet seems happy I feed them that and I have not had an issue with it so far. I am not sure what would be better for them.

I have a dog and he only eats venison dog food. costs a bomb but then again, the pup is happy. haha. tryign to change the food to something cheaper but the damn pup refuses to eat when i change it to anything else. lol. hwo do y'all get your pup to change their diet? food to me is just food, as long as it keeps my dog full and healthy i think the cheaper alternative would suffice

Quote Originally Posted by IRWiesel View Post
    My vet seems happy I feed them that and I have not had an issue with it so far. I am not sure what would be better for them.
    If you are referring to Purina: Veterinary college students learn almost nothing about canine nutrition. You are on your own with researching pet food brands. That is a proven fact. The only thing to like about Purina is other brands are worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.