Dog Eating Too Fast ... can I help stop it?

Question Dog Eating Too Fast ... can I help stop it?

I've got a little JRT in foster at the moment (he's approx 2/3 years old). He came to me pretty underweight, all his little ribs sticking out. I don't know much about his past, but he's obviously not been fed anywhere enough. He's really enjoying having two meals a day and a healthy amount of treats here and is slowly gaining a nice amount of weight.

He's not at all food agressive, I can put my hand in his bowl and remove the food completely while he's eating with no problem, but is there anything I can do to stop him literally inhaling his food? He eats as though it's the first meal he's had in years every time foods put in front of him, it doesn't even touch the sides. Last night he gulped it down so quickly he threw it all back up about an hour later.

Is this something that will go away on it's own as he learns that he'll never go hungry again? Or is there anything I can do to help teach him how to take his time with his food so he doesn't get sick or choke?

Some people recommend putting the food in a very large oversized bowl, or pan. That way, the kibble, etc. is spread out and thin, only one layer high with spaces...so it takes more effort for the dog to eat, and he doesn't get large mouthfuls to wolf-down, good luck!

Thanks Alpha, will give that a try and let you know how it goes

Have you tried those special bowls for fast eaters? A friend of mine who has a schnauzer was worried that the little guy would end up choking the food so she bought him a slow feeder bowl. I even once saw it being featured in Oprah.

There are different kinds of slow feeder bowls. The one below took my attention in particular. I think PetCo sells one for $12.99.

Oh wow, I had no idea things like this existed! Not something I will be purchasing myself at the minute, the little dog in question is (hopefully) going to his forever home on Saturday so only has two more days with me, but I'll deffo pass this on to his forever family.

There are many theories of what causes a bloat that twists (Gastric Dilatation Volvulus)and eating fast is one of the most common. When the stomach twists it greatly decreases, or cuts off, blood supply to the stomach. This is life threatening and can cause serious irreversible damage to the stomach or death...

Thanks for the info elleB - this little dog went to his forever family last month so is no longer with me. I passed on all the info I had and some tips as advised here to his forever family.

My daughter had a dog who used to eat too quickly. She controlled it a little by standing his bowl at his shoulder height and also by using a large bowl, as somebody else suggested to spread the food out in one layer. Your description of the dog "vacuuming" up his food is exactly how we described this eating behaviour. He was often heaving after eating - however, he was not aggressive and we could remove his bowl. The only sure way we stopped him eating too quickly was by feeding him a handful at a time. But this did not cure the problem - he would eat just as fast as ever if left to his own devices.

My daughter had to rehome this dog when she moved to an appartment without a garden - he actually went to her old neighbour who had know him since he was a puppy. He was very happy there from the start.

My daughter called her old neighbour after about 10 days to see how things were going and the neighbour said, "Everything's fine - and we've cured his speed-eating!" Somebody had told them about the bowls that turn speed-eating dogs into slow eaters. They bought one - and it worked immediately.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.