Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

An Unfortunate Accident !!!

An Unfortunate Accident !!!

Thursday just about noon, our Pomeranian (who weighs all of 4 pounds) was on my wife's lap.. My wife had to go to the bathroom so she put the pooch on the chair (lazy Boy recliner) as she often does.. No problem except this time the pooch sort of turned itself around on the seat and as it did so, the right front paw sort of slid off the front edge of the chair and she fell off the chair and landed on her right front leg on the wooden floor......

Yelping like you have NEVER heard in your life.. She was crying with pain from the fall and her leg was bent up against her body..
    I picked her up but she continued to cry and yelp very loud.. Obviously something was very wrong.. We called our vet and took her in immediately..
    After X-Rays, (which I saw) she has a broken leg just above the lower joint.. The bone is totally broken and the leg was pointed in two different directions..

They immediately gave her a splint and determined she had to have an operation to insert a plate to mend this leg.. They didn't have in stock a plate small enough (1.5mm) to perform the operation immediately so they ordered one from Toronto..
    It arrived on Friday afternoon and she will be operated on Saturday morning..
    Obviously she has been under sedation since arriving at the vet..

The vet gave us a price for all the hospital stays, surgery, laser treatments, and follow-up to remove the plate at a later date..
    $2000.00 was his price.. Naturally we don't have insurance to cover this but that isn't a problem for this time.. The vet recommended we look into insurance as Poms are subject to expensive situations.. I did some calling around and got insurance for $500.00 a year that will cover the pooch pretty well should something else happen..

As we live in a small village, the vet is 20 minutes away in another town.. The workers call us here at our house every few hours to give us an update on her condition.. She is sedated and just lying there in her blanket.. We will be visiting her on Saturday and every day just so she will feel comforted by our presence.. She should be coming home on Tuesday if all goes well..

Just thought I would let you know what is going on here.. My poor wife feels so bad about the accident.. I try to tell her it wasn't her fault and it was an unfortunate accident and it could of happened to me or at any other time.. Small dogs are very delicate and must be treated as such..
    I will keep you updated as I get more news...

So sorry to hear about your poor dog, your vet sounds lovely - will be wishing her well for a speedy recovery to get home soon. Your poor wife as well, I can only imagine how bad she feels but you're right in saying she musn't blame herself. Accidents happen to the best of us and the important thing is you are doing everything you can to help your little girl better!

Pet insurence is soo worthwhile in having, there is no way I could afford 2,000.00 if something happened to my dog, so I would not risk being without insurence. It costs me 13 a month to cover up to 2,500.00 per year per condition.

So sorry to hear about your dog. Poor little thing.

I hope the operation went well.

I hope she'll soon be back to normal.

Steve, so sad to hear of litte Sheeba's injury, that's terrible. I would feel guilty too if I were your wife, but that's just how we are, reaslistically she did nothing wrong, and the dog could've jumped off that chair a million times otherwise, without incident.

A neighbor had a Bischon Frise that jumped off the couch and broke her back. She didn't want to spend that kind of money on vet treatment and was ready to put her down. Luckily her mother loved the dog, adopted her, and gave the medical attention she needed.

I don't have pet insurance, but I've had the occassional high vet bill in the past. My dog needed a knee operation, and it costs us over $1,000. The thing is, that was a long time ago, in the early 1970's, when everything cost less than today.

Wishing your little angel a quick recovery. Thank goodness you and your wife took her in, I can imagine her fate if this happened in her old house. So nice that they're calling you and giving updates, that's comforting. Hope all goes well with the surgery, and ((hugs)) to your wife and little Sheeba from me.

Here is an update.. I don't have much to tell but,,,,,,,,

We went to see and hold our dear Sheeba today.. She was wrapped up in her blanket and crying as we held her to comfort her..
    The operation was to take place at 4:00pm today.. It did..
    The vet called us at home just after 7pm and told us the operation took just over 2 hours.. Her bones are so small they are just bigger than a thread and it is almost impossible to reconstruct bones that small, but he did it.. His interpertation is "I have eaten chicken wings with bones bigger than that leg bone".. He inserted a plate to hold the bones together and the plate will have to come out in a few weeks.. She is on pain killers at present which means NO pain..
    We are off to see her again tomorrow and console her once more.. We will also be meeting with the doctor to discuss the event as well as seeing the X-Rays..

Actually it did us both the world of good seeing her.. We felt really bad about the whole thing and still do, but we are getting over it and are looking forward to having her back home on Monday.. There will be extensive medication to give her as well as physiotherapy and exercises.. We are ready for the task !!!

I will keep you up to date as soon as I have more news........

I'm so glad your little baby has come through the surgery and is on the road to recovery all of our love and prayers are with Sheeba and you and your wife.

That happened to my little Toby before I got him. His people were going through a break-up, and apparently he jumped or fell off something and broke his leg. They were going to have him put down, but I offered to take care of him while he recovered and they settled. His leg never would mend, so eventually, we had it amputated at a cost of $350. He recovered quickly and well from that and ended up staying with me for good. Hope your little one recovers fast!

Hope she recovers well :O
    She sounds so sweet though
    Best of luck to you

Thanks for the update Steve, sending good wishes your way!

Poor baby You're incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful vet, and to be able to get your dog the care and healing that she needs. I'm sending all my good wishes and healing thoughts your way!

I wish we would have had such good results with a cat of ours. Well, technically the cat belonged to the neighbors, but we were the ones feeding her and cuddling her every day. She injured her leg somehow, and couldn't even get around. Somehow, she was able to find the energy to drag herself onto our porch swing and didn't move, at all. We took her to the vet, but they said that there was nothing they could do, so she had to be put down to end her suffering.

Count your blessings that your dog was able to be taken care of.

Just a quick update..
    On Sunday, we visited with our Sheeba at the vet hospital.. She was sleeping in her cage at the hospital and when she saw us, her head picked up and she recognized us.. She was brought to us in a room and placed on a table wrapped up in a blanket.. We held her in our arms and she was actually licking us.. Her leg was not bandaged at the time but they did put a bandage on her leg afterwards.. She actually asked to go POTTY and they carried her out and she went and made a "Poo Pee" outside.. She took a few steps on her leg.. She then ate and drank a bit..
    We stayed with her for about 2 hours.. My wife brushed her teeth and combed her.. She had a few knots in her mane.. She loves to have her teeth brushed..
    We met with the doctor and she is coming home on Monday.. We are going to pick her up in the morning at 9:00.. That is how good she is doing..
    Naturally she is on pain killers and other medication which we will be giving her..

Would you believe that through the whole ordeal so far, she has NEVER barked once ???? Yelped when in pain but that's all !!!

I will keep you up to date about her recovery when she comes home..
    We are both looking forward to having our Sheeba back in our arms again.. Life just doesn't seem the same without her.. You don't realise how much you love your pet till you have the chance to miss her..........

PS .... What am I doing up at this hour ????

Ahh love her bet she cant wait to come home either, hope she makes a full recovery

Your Sheeba sounds like an incredibly brave girl. It's great that despite all that she's undergone, she's still remaining strong. It's great that she gets to come home soon, and that she's doing well enough to do so! Looks like she's going to have a quick full recovery. At least, let's hope so!

She's home !!!!!!
    Everything went perfect in taking her home except we are in the middle of a WHOPPER of a snow storm and I had to drive from our house in Massey to Espanola (about 25kms) to pick her up and back.. I drive a Ford F150 with a Triton V8 and 4 snow tires.. No problem getting around !!!

I will come back on here and let you know how she is doing later on.. So far, she is sleeping in her bed with NO bandage on her leg.. No pain at all !!!

Steve was sorry to read of little Sheba's accident but happy to know that the operation went well and that she is now home with her loving carer/parents,and I hope she continues to grow stronger every day.Its good that you had a well equiped vehicle for the snow, and that you didn't get stranded.What a sweet and brave little girl she is.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.