Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

An Unfortunate Accident !!!

I'm so happy for you! I can tell how excited you are to have her back, and that you're extremely happy that she's doing so well in the healing process - you truly love that dog, and she's lucky to have you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    She's home !!!!!!
    Everything went perfect in taking her home except we are in the middle of a WHOPPER of a snow storm and I had to drive from our house in Massey to Espanola (about 25kms) to pick her up and back.. I drive a Ford F150 with a Triton V8 and 4 snow tires.. No problem getting around !!!

I will come back on here and let you know how she is doing later on.. So far, she is sleeping in her bed with NO bandage on her leg.. No pain at all !!!
    That's wonderful to hear she's back home, getting love from her mom and dad! She's been through so much, I'm glad the pain pills are helping her get the rest she needs and relieve her pain. And hey, you're getting the snow you needed, so life is good! Glad you made it home safe in that weather, looking forward to more positive updates on Sheeba!

Hey Steve! We are glad that Sheeba is recovering well. I am pretty sure your wife is very very relieved to see your fur baby home. Chooey once fell from the second floor to the 1st. It almost gave me a heart attack. We brought her to the vet but fortunately, nothing was broken.

It's good that you guys had the resources to afford Sheeba's treatment. I wouldn't have been able to afford something like that either. We don't have pet insurance here but vet bills aren't as expensive as those in your countries either.

How long is Sheeba going to be in crate rest? How about meds? Was she given something to protect her liver from the meds she's taking?

Trying to put her (Sheeba) to bed for the night last night was something else.. She is supposed to wear a cone around the neck to prevent her from licking her wound.. Please remember she only weighs 4 pounds and how small she is..
    Can you picture what she looks like ?? She is crated in her crate to sleep every night.. With the cone on, she can't fit into the opening of her crate.. We tried putting her in her bed but I was afraid she would get up in the middle of the night and go for a walkabout..
    My wife put on her leg a bandage and we put her to sleep in her crate.. Lets see how that will work out......

Poor thing, they make inflatable collars and no bite collars that are less in diameter, and easier for the dog to see, more comfortable to wear...but she is a tiny one, and hopefully she won't need to use it for too much longer. I can picture that she looks very sweet and pathetic with it on, lol. It sounds like she's cooperative with your handling and care though, that makes things a lot easier. Glad she's being given the best of care.

The idea of putting a bandage on her leg to sleep with is a very bad idea.. Naturally she chewed off the bandage during the night.. Why am I not surprised ??
    Tonight she will go into her crate to sleep with the cone on.. That way she can't get into trouble, ........I hope.........

She is asking to go "potty"... She is eating pretty good and drinking water pretty good as well.. She sleeps a lot but that could be from the codeine she is on for pain.. Her walking is totally weird.. She takes a few steps on her bad leg and then seems to hop around on only 3 legs while she is favouring the bad one.. The vet said that is to be expected in the beginning..
    One last thing.. I believe she is constipated because she didn't make a duty at all today or yesterday.. It could be the codeine.. The vet told us to put a bit of Metamucil in her food and that should help..That will be done tomorrow..

That's it for now.. I will keep you up to date as soon as there is another change..
    We are off to see the vet on Friday for laser treatments and a check-up.....

Olive oil or coconut oil will also help with the constipation.

Forget the coconut oil as I don't have any, but I certainly have all kinds of olive oil..
    How do I administer that to her ???

I drizzle just a touch over their food, they seem to like it, so that's no problem. I often just use the "light" olive oil for the dogs.

PS: You can also give some Colace. It's a stool softener used for people and is sold over the counter in softgels. The active ingredient is Docusate Sodium, so you can get less expensive 'off' brands. The vet recommends one per day for a couple of days for a medium size dog. Don't know how the contents taste, but for a little one like yours, maybe just pierce the softgel and give something like 2 drops daily...it will help.

An update on our Pom (Sheeba)..
    As far as the constipation goes, I gave her some Metamucil only because I have it in the house.. IT WORKED BIG TIME !!! Boy did that ever do the trick ..

She is getting better and it is noticeable almost every day.. She is still hoping around on 3 legs but is starting to put weight on her bad one.. She doesn't seem to be in any pain but there again it could be the codeine she gets twice a day.. She is still extremely clean and will ask to go potty.. Not one accident in the house..
    The weirdest thing is after that snow fall, she climbed a snow bank (of about 24 inches) of soft snow to make her potty.. She isn't supposed to get the metal plate in her leg cold, but she isn't paying attention to that.. Naturally her leg and up to her neck is shaved..
    Her appetite is definitely back as well as her water drinking which is good..
    Unfortunately she wants to lick her stitches so we have to put her in the cone to avoid that..
    We do every day (at least 3 times a day) her exercises and the physiotherapy as we were shown.. She gets brushed, combed, and her teeth are done daily..

Today we are off to the vet for a laser treatment for her..

That's it for now and I will get back on here soon to let you know how she is doing (if you don't mind)....

So lovely to hear updates on your lovely girl, so glad she is recovering from her accident - she is so lucky to have you to look after and love her!

Thanks for the good news Steve!

Its good too see little Sheba is doing so well, after her operation, great news Steve.

Yesterday (Friday) we went to have a laser treatment for Sheeba.. She took it like a real pro.. Not a whimper or wiggle from her at all.. She is still wobbling on 3 legs and won't weight bear on her bad leg.. We will have to force her to do it by lifting up her good leg and she will have NO choice but to walk on it..
    Back to laser again on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday of next week..
    Friday (of next week) the stitches come out.. That should be interesting !!!
    The plate in her leg will come out in about another 4 weeks or so.. Again that will be another challenge !!!

After her session with the vet, she is pooped and wants to sleep for a few hours which is good..

That's it for now and I will give you more details as I have them, but so far, so good as far as her recovery goes.......

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.