Walking Without the Leash

Walking Without the Leash

A lot of people will wish that their dog could follow them without the need of a leash. Once in awhile, I would see dogs following their owners effortlessly.. and without a leash on the busy streets of a mall. It's amazing.

But unleashed walks are not easy to accomplish. Some dogs can be truly special cases wherein they were easily able to pick this up. However, most dogs are curious in nature reason why there are really some that only have attention spans less than a block.

Have you ever had your dog walk without a leash? Did you keep looking behind your back to check him?

Most of my dogs have walked off-leash, but only in areas like parks or woodlands. I don't think it's a good idea to have them loose in areas where there's lots of people or car traffic. Of course, where I live, that's against the law anyway, and you can be ticketed and fined.

Even my dog now, over 10 years old, when we walk together and he's off-lead, I always look back to check on him and make sure he's there and he's okay.

I have noticed people walking with even young puppies following them through city streets, but I couldn't do that. I'd be too worried that the dog would get hit by a car, snatched up by a thief, or attacked by another dog, etc.

Buckwild, my dog (or my mom's, I should say) is far too hyper to ever be let off-leash xD He's not insane or anything, he just likes to play and when he sees something that interests him, no amount of calling, begging, or threatening is going to make him come back until he wants to. He's a good dog, but he'd be too excited to be let off leash.

Quote Originally Posted by amberra824 View Post
    Buckwild, my dog (or my mom's, I should say) is far too hyper to ever be let off-leash xD He's not insane or anything, he just likes to play and when he sees something that interests him, no amount of calling, begging, or threatening is going to make him come back until he wants to. He's a good dog, but he'd be too excited to be let off leash.
    I doubt threatening will work with him. If he's hyperactive then you'll have to retrain him to remember that when his name is called, it's a good thing (e.g. name calling= treat).

We went to a mall a couple of months ago and saw a tiny Jack Russel Terrier following his owner in the crowded streets. What's funny was, we didn't know who his owner was because he was tiny and fast and there were a lot of people crossing from one area to another.

Then there was also this time where the owner had his Belgian Malinois wear a pair of shades and a hat while caring a basket. They were walking along the side walk and it was if he was like a regular human doing some shopping.

Haopee is right - a dog should know that when you call his name something is good is going to happen (i.e. a fuss or a treat) so they want to come back to you. Threatening will not work, as he won't want to return because he knows that whatever he's doing is going to be far better than what he'll get when gets back.

I would never, ever let my dog off lead anywhere other than a field, woodland or park - away from the road and traffic. Even then, it would only be once we where both familiar with the area and our route.

I didn't mean that we threaten him or anything - I just meant that nothing we do would bring him back xD And that's including treats - he doesn't much care for them when he has the whole "great outdoors" to explore. It may just be because we recently got him, right before Christmas, and he's still checking out the area, marking his territory, that sort of thing. Maybe after a while he'll calm down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinch7 View Post
    I would never, ever let my dog off lead anywhere other than a field, woodland or park - away from the road and traffic. Even then, it would only be once we where both familiar with the area and our route.
    ...When we first get a pup, and it's had it's shots and old enough, we take it to the park on a long retractable lead. We practice the come command, while on the leash, and reward with treat and praise. Only when they are reliable with recall on the leash, do we start some exercise without it...been working well for us so far.

We have let our Shepherd off leash in the park as she will come back if she wanders off a little, but our Lab tends to want to keep following where ever his nose will take him.We also have to be careful that they dont get grass seeds in their ears this weather, so try to keep them on the path.

I used to take my dog on a run without a leash. He is getting older now so I stopped doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    ...When we first get a pup, and it's had it's shots and old enough, we take it to the park on a long retractable lead. We practice the come command, while on the leash, and reward with treat and praise. Only when they are reliable with recall on the leash, do we start some exercise without it...been working well for us so far.
    Exactly what we do

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.