Uncommon Dog Facts

Lightbulb Uncommon Dog Facts

Here are some interesting and uncommon facts about dogs...http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...dog-facts.aspx

Interesting indeed. I never thought that those things are true.

Very interesting, didn't know some of them - but there are a few I'm not sure are 100% true

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinch7 View Post
    Very interesting, didn't know some of them - but there are a few I'm not sure are 100% true
    A couple are questionable to me too. Like the dog's memory is 5 minutes, and the cat's is 16 hours. Well, I know that scolding/correcting a dog for soiling the house must be done when he's caught in the act. I always liked to say 'No!', pick mine up mid-flow if needed, and rush them over to the newspaper, and tell them 'you go here'. If I saw the mess 10 minutes after, when they were chewing on a toy in another room, and scolded them and brought them to the paper, they wouldn't have any idea why I was upset.

But...when my dog goes after a road apple, left in the road by a horse (and he knows better), I can tell him 'No!', he'll sometimes drop it, but sometimes run away from me and continue eating it. Then I tell him he's a bad boy. Well, the next day, 24 hours later, he'll make a wide circle around the same pile, and I assume he remembers the incident from the day before.

The other one that raised an eyebrow was that dogs are as smart as a 3 yr. old, knowing 200 words/signals. My dog maybe knows a dozen things I say, possibly a few more, but I often tell my husband that the dog just hears me as 'blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah'. Then hubby goes, 'yeah, so what's your point?'...just kidding on that one, but that's likely what he's thinking.

The memory thing is the one that I find questionable - the reason you shouldn't scold a dog or puppy after the act is because their brains don't connect the two. If you say bad puppy peeing in the house, they don't understand the words.

If dogs only had a five minute memory they wouldn't be able to learn and remember commands at all, they'd keep forgetting them! My dog also remembers routes on walks he's not been on for a while and people he hasn't seen for ages. The scents he picks up trigger the memory that he knows this person/that place. So deffo don't buy that one!

But some of the others where facinating Dogs are way more intelligent than most give them credit for!

I agree about the commands, also, my dog has a much better sense of direction than I have, lol.

Lol sometimes I think my dog is smarter than me in many ways!!

There was a show on here in the UK recently called "The Secret Life of Dogs" - it was reallly facinationg and all about how a dogs brain works and little things that I had no idea about. Did you know that all dogs are either left or right pawed? If you get them to sit and then call them to you, they will always move off with the same paw first.

My boy is left footed, which apparently means he'd statistically make a terrible guide dog lol!

Will have to check that out with my boy.

Very interesting.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.