10 Gallon Dividing Tank for Bettas

10 Gallon Dividing Tank for Bettas

Hey!
    My friend had been telling me she needed a new home for her female betta, so I decided to take her in. I've been planning on buying a few more bettas, so I decided to make a dividing tank. I made 3 sections so the size for each is about 3.3 gallons. I found the tutorial to make it here. (The only difference is I used Plastic Canvas)
    The female didn't have a name so I named her Persephone.
    She is pretty timid and likes to hide behind the decorations, rather than explore.

I used a light from a 1 gallon glofish tank I had sitting in the garage.
    IMG_20130203_220320.jpg
    The mesh is slightly see through, but I read online that they will only bow up on occasions...(This still depends on the fish, so I will see how they get along in a divided tank)
    IMG_20130203_220432.jpg
    Persephone is hiding
    IMG_20130203_220441.jpg
    The right side of the tank,
    IMG_20130203_220447.jpg
    and the left side, with a Cascade 400 filter.
    IMG_20130203_220453.jpg

Each section also has an air pump, one doesn't have an air stone, which I plan to buy in the next week or so.

Very interesting, and nice that you gave the Betta girl an new home!

My mom had bought another betta for the tank today! He is a Crowntail and is turquoise and cyan colors with his pectoral fins a nice shade of pink. When I can get a good photo I will post it! I named him Bruce! The tank's air pumps are a bit loud, therefore I turn them off in the night and turn them back on in the morning.

Aww, I like your set-up. I used to have Bettas too. One in particular I remember was named Kratos (from the God of War) because he was fiery red. After feeding him mosquito larvae (which in our country was known to be good for them), it was like Bettas using performance enhancers. Eating protein really gets them growing. Their colors turned out more vibrant too.

I used to have 2 male Bettas in a single tank with a divider. Each of them lived with three females. But I must have been doing something wrong as none of them had babies. Good thing the males where only aggressive to each other. I know some males could be aggressive to females too.

We'd love to see Bruce.

I might have to get some mosquito larvae! I would love to help my Bettas become more bright and vibrant! I love the name for your betta too!

I read online that most bettas don't go good together male or female and that they are hard to breed. Your bettas must have been pretty calm since my one betta is VERY aggressive. I had a few neon tetras in his 5 gallon, and he ended up killing them all sadly.

I would like to put two females together, but I am not sure since females can be agressive too.

Here is a photo of Bruce from my instagram!
    His personality is pretty chill. He likes to swim around but isn't always as curious, he will kinda see you and just swim off doing his own thing.
    (Unlike Sebastian who is always watching what I do )

Nicely done on the dividers. Gladly to see someone separate the female betta as well.

You know there are quite some people out there falsely believe female betta can be housed together and they can't be more wrong lol. There were cases where female betta actually killed the male after just spawned with him. :X

Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Just how many betta do you have in total?

Thank you! I've read online about how females can be just as aggressive as males!
    At the moment I have 3. Two in the divider tank and one in a Hex 5 gallon tank.

Quote Originally Posted by -ky View Post
    I might have to get some mosquito larvae! I would love to help my Bettas become more bright and vibrant! I love the name for your betta too!

I read online that most bettas don't go good together male or female and that they are hard to breed. Your bettas must have been pretty calm since my one betta is VERY aggressive. I had a few neon tetras in his 5 gallon, and he ended up killing them all sadly.

I would like to put two females together, but I am not sure since females can be agressive too.
    We got ours from a tire with some water in it. LOL. It was embarrassing enough having to bend down on the side of the road to find one in canals. This I do not advise at all.

If you give them larvae, make sure to give it one at a time, we wouldn't want them larvae turning into mosquitoes so make sure to feed your bettas just enough to make them full.

Females aren't aggressive to each other. But some males can be aggressive to female bettas so you have to observe this first before adding many into one group. Also, there are bettas called plakat that you have to watch out for. We got one included in our tank and we were wondering why she was challenging the male and biting the females... We later discovered that she was he.

@ haopee,
    While not every one of the female betta is aggressive, they are time bombs if you put them in one tank.

Yes, there are a few people having multiple female betta in one community tank, but it is not recommended. All it takes is just one incident to turn "they are ok" into "bad".

If you put any betta together, wouldn't they end up getting stressed out as well?

Just an update! I got two new bettas for my tank now! I got a red, white and blue crowntail, I've named Captain America, and an Elephant Ear named Frodo. Captain America is pretty big compared to the others.

This is Captain America (Steve Rodgers as a nickname) I couldn't get a good photo, he keeps moving around, I think he likes his new home.

and this is Frodo Baggins. His one fin (pictured) is so big its about bigger than his body! He also was moving around too much to get a good shot.

I posted a video of them. They bow up every now and then, since they are new they've been exploring. They've stopped bowing up now, only on occasions do they bow.

Where did you get all your betta fish?

All the pet stores sell poor quality fish. And all the high quality fish are available only from some reputable breeders who sell them for $35~100+ each on ebay.

Haha, Bruce is awesome! And good work on the tank, that's quite a feat!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.